PDA

View Full Version : Nurse who answered, transferred royal radio prank call commits suicide. Radio hosts fired. Then one of them is rehired.



Colorado Media Newsroom
December 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
From All Access:

The nurse at the hospital where KATE MIDDLETON, the Duchess of CAMBRIDGE, was being treated for morning sickness who fielded and transferred the prank call from SOUTHERN CROSS AUSTEREO Top 40 2DAY FM/SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA "SUMMER HOT 30 COUNTDOWN" hosts MEL GRIEG and MICHAEL CHRISTIAN has apparently committed suicide. The DAILY MAIL reports that JACINTHA SALDANHA was found dead FRIDAY near KING EDWARD VII HOSPITAL. SALDHANHA took the call at 5:30a WEDNESDAY morning and transferred it to the ward where the Duchess was being treated.

GREIG and CHRISTIAN have not commented on the suicide but have deleted their Twitter accounts as a flood of angry tweets have been directed at the hosts and radio station, The station and hosts previously apologized for the call, which was reportedly taped and reviewed by management before airing.

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/113314/report-nurse-who-answered-transferred-royal-prank-?ref=rss)

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 7th, 2012, 04:32 PM
From Radio Online:

In extremely tragic and shocking news, Jacintha Saldanha, the British nurse who was the victim of a now infamous Kate Middleton prank call by two Australian DJs, was found dead this morning in a suspected suicide. Saldanha was found unconscious today near King Edward VII Hospital where she worked.

The mother-of two was working the hospital switchboard just two days ago when she was tricked into transferring a prank call from radio duo Mel Greig and Michael Christian (pictured) of Sydney's 2Day FM, who were pretending to be Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles and looking to speak to Kate Middleton, who had been admitted to the hospital for pregnancy complications. The call was put through to a second nurse who told the DJ's that Kate was "quite stable" and hadn't "had any retching."

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have issued a statement saying they are "deeply saddened" by the tragedy and said they had not made a complaint, adding: "Their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha's family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time."

The hospital extended their "deepest sympathies" to family and friends, saying that "everyone is shocked" at this "tragic event," and that "She will be greatly missed."

The duo of Greig and Christian were never disciplined over the prank call and instead bragged about it on the air after receiving international attention.

66

While clearly there are more details to be deciphered and investigated, this could shape up to be one of the most horrible outcomes of a radio stunt in history. It should serve as a stark reminder to broadcasters everywhere about the potential impact of such pranks and stunts, even if well intentioned.

more (http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n26011)

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 11th, 2012, 05:55 AM
From All Access:

SOUTHERN CROSS AUSTEREO has resumed accepting advertising on Top 40 2DAY FM/SYDNEY, but says that profits for the rest of 2012 will be donated to an "appropriate memorial fund" to benefit the family of JACINTHA SALDANHA, the nurse who committed suicide in the wake of the phone prank by 2DAY hosts MEL GRIEG and MICHAEL CHRISTIAN. A minimum donation of $500,000 will be made.

SCA CEO RHYS HOLLERAN said, "We are very sorry for what has happened. It is a terrible tragedy and our thoughts continue to be with the family. We hope that by contributing to a memorial fund we can help to provide the SALDANHA family with the support they need at this very difficult time. The Company today reiterates that it is deeply saddened by this tragic and unforeseen event and offers its condolences to the family of JACINTHA SALDANHA."

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/113371/ads-back-on-2day-fm-but-profits-to-be-donated-to-n?ref=rss)

PC Bigboy
December 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
This falls in the category of WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE THEY THINKING ?????

It also WREAKS with something that Howard Stern would likely do back in the day (Not to say HE had anything to do with it though)

Obviously some people are TOTALLY CLUELESS about sensitively passionate the British people are about their customs (As well as a TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT of them, the British people & other cultures in general) :(

Hope they can live with themselves. I don't think I could if I were in their shoes.....

JMO.....

Cheers & 73 :D

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
From Radio Online:

Australian radio station 2DayFM will pay at least $525,000 to a memorial fund in the name Jacintha Saldanha (pictured), the nurse found dead after two DJs duped her into putting their prank radio show call through to the hospital room where Kate Middleton was being treated for extreme morning sickness.

Police still refer to Saldanha's death as "unexplained" but suicide is suspected and an autopsy is to be performed today. 2DayFM's parent company, Southern Cross Austereo, has now issued a statement that all profits made from advertising aired until the end of the year would be donated to "an appropriate fund that will directly benefit the family of Jacintha Saldanha."

The statement also added: "A minimum contribution of $525,000 will be made. SCA today reiterates its deep regret for what has taken place in these tragic and unforeseen circumstances and offers its condolences to the family of Jacintha Saldanha." Company chief executive Rhys Holleran was also quoted as saying the company was "very sorry for what has happened."

Meanwhile, King Edward VII Hospital in London has set up the Jacintha Saldanha Memorial Fund to benefit her surviving husband and two children. Hospital chairman, Lord Glenarthur welcomed the news regarding SCA's donation saying, "I am pleased to announce that many donations have already been made from around the world. I have today read that Southern Cross Media Group have pledged to make a minimum donation of $500,000 Australian Dollars to an appropriate fund. We would certainly welcome such a donation to the Jacintha Saldanha Memorial Fund."

more (http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n26030)

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
From Radio Online:

As the controversy revolving around the now tragic prank phone call from Australian radio morning duo Mel Greig and Michael Christian continues, questions are being raised regarding whether radio station 2DayFM broke the law with the stunt. It's the age old question of whether a private conversation was broadcast without the permission of the participants.

If guilty of the crime, violators in Australia can be sentenced to prison but the question looms of who at 2DayFM or its parent company, Southern Cross Austereo, made the decision to air the call. Greig and Christian insist executives above them made the decision, but a former 2DayFM host who orchestrated many past pranks at 2DayFM said DJs were always involved in such decisions while she was there.

According to a report in the Washington Post, Southern Cross Austereo has said the station had tried five times to contact the hospital, but privacy law expert Barbara McDonald said that may end up being an inadequate defense noting, "Seems to me that saying, 'We tried to call,' shows that they knew they should, and they've made a decision to go ahead knowing that they have not got permission. I don't know whether it makes the situation better, or worse."

The New South Wales state Surveillance Devices Act prohibits the broadcast of recorded private conversations without participants' permission, with violations punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a fine of up to $58,000.

Meanwhile, evidence is emerging that 2DayFM has a long history of similar pranks and "jokes" with often devastating outcomes. One such incident of note occurred in 2009 on the station's "Kyle and Jackie O" show when a mother brought her 14-year-old daughter into the station to grill the teen on her drug and sexual life while she was hooked to a lie detector. When the mother asked if her daughter had ever had sex the teen replied, "I've already told you the story about this...and don't look at me and smile because it's not funny."

But after continued chiding from the DJ's the young girl then blurted out, "Oh OK...I got raped when I was 12 years old." Without so much as a single thought about the girl's well being, host Kyle Sandilands didn't skip a beat and said, "Right, is that the only experience you've had?"

The bit resulted in a police investigation and the DJs were suspended, but back on aftr a week according to a report from TMZ. Other bits also resulted in police investigations until the show was finally saddled with a full-time censor and removed segments from their online archives including a feature where people stripped for money, another where they searched for the man with the smallest penis in Sydney.

more (http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n26027)

Rob
December 11th, 2012, 06:49 PM
This falls in the category of WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE THEY THINKING ?????

It also WREAKS with something that Howard Stern would likely do back in the day (Not to say HE had anything to do with it though)

Obviously some people are TOTALLY CLUELESS about sensitively passionate the British people are about their customs (As well as a TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT of them, the British people & other cultures in general) :(

Hope they can live with themselves. I don't think I could if I were in their shoes.....

JMO.....

Cheers & 73 :D


I don't think what they did was wrong. Tasteless, probably. But not even as much as Stern has done. Or other DJs in the UK.

There is a law here in the US where you have to tell the other party you are putting them on the air and get their permission. I'm not sure if they have that in Australia or not. If they do, the DJs/station could be in trouble over that.

Radio is about entertainment/grabbing ratings and a lot of jocks here in the US and other countries have done prank calls like this one. It's nothing new and doesn't usually end the way this one did.

Any normal stable-minded person wouldn't kill themselves because of this.

I feel very bad for the family of the nurse and the DJs who made the call.

Colorado Media Newsroom
December 17th, 2012, 03:08 PM
(http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-12-07/nurse-pranked-at-kate-middletons-london-hospital-commits-suicide/)



http://cdn02.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/11/kate-middleton-nurse-husband-says-he-is-devastated-600x450-1-400x300.jpg

THE LATEST ON THE ROYAL PRANK SCANDAL









In a series of apparent suicide notes (http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-12-14/nurse-who-killed-herself-at-pregnant-kate-middletons-hospital-left-three-suicide-notes/), Jacintha Saldanha expressed her anger toward the Australian radio hosts behind the royal prank call that made headlines around the world.
While the contents of the letters were not fully revealed during a hearing on Dec.13, the late nurse reportedly accused Mel Greig and Michael Christian — both of whom have since apologized for the hoax (http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-12-10/australian-djs-behind-royal-prank-say-theyre-shattered-gutted-in-first-interview-since-nurse-killed-herself/) — for her death, according to the U.K.’s Daily Mail. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248794/Jacintha-Saldanha-Tragic-suicide-note-DJs-written-nurse-royal-hoax-I-hold-responsible.html)


More... (http://aircheckerradioindustry.blogspot.com/2012/12/royal-prank-call-nurse-jacintha.html)

Colorado Media Newsroom
January 28th, 2013, 08:13 AM
From All Access:

88

AUSTEREO Top 40 2DAY FM/SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA hosts MEL GRIEG and MICHAEL CHRISTIAN -- the duo behind the KATE MIDDLETON hoax phone call have officially lost their show -- but remain employed by network and "will return to work when time is right," reports THE DAILY MAIL.
GREIG and CHRISTIAN went into hiding after receiving received death threats following the phone call last month to KING EDWARD VII Hospital in LONDON that led to the suicide of JACINTHA SALDANHA, who transferred the call to MIDDLETON's ward.
"We look forward to MEL and MC returning to work when the time is right, in roles that make full use of their talents," AUSTEREO CEO RHYS HOLLERAN said.

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/114688/australian-jocks-lose-their-morning-show-in-wake-o?ref=rss)

Colorado Media Newsroom
February 2nd, 2013, 10:02 AM
The two Australian radio presenters who made a hoax phone call to the London hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/duchess-of-cambridge) was being treated will not be prosecuted.

Bringing charges against Mel Greig and Michael Christian for their "prank" last December (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/07/australian-djs-prank-call) would not be in the public interest, the Crown Prosecution Service has concluded.


More... (http://aircheckerradioindustry.blogspot.com/2013/02/australian-djs-will-not-be-prosecuted.html)

Colorado Media Newsroom
February 12th, 2013, 01:41 PM
From All Access:

94

Former AUSTEREO Top 40 2DAY FM/SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA co-host MICHAEL CHRISTIAN, half of the the duo that lost their jobs over the KATE MIDDLETON hoax phone call, has resurfaced at sister station FOX FM/MELBOURNE.
"We are happy to have MICHAEL back on air," said AUSTEREO CEO RHYS HOLLERAN. "We have always supported our talent returning to work when appropriate, and today marks that occasion for MICHAEL."

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/115237/hoax-jock-michael-christian-returns-to-australia-s?ref=rss)