17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 238

0 members and 238 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,035
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,075)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default Latest Denver Radio Ratings Are Here!

Another round of ratings reports from Arbitron comes out today... Denver is one of the markets to be included... I'll let you know here when we have them up on our Denver Radio Listings/Ratings page!

They have been posted on the bottom of our "Denver Radio List/Ratings" page that you can find by clicking the link to it on the left! Or just click this:
    http://www.coloradomedia.net/forums/...id=denverradio

Interesting things I've noticed with these latest ratings:

1. Country as a format is not doing as well as it used to. KYGO is dropping fast...

2. Classic Rock seems to rule in Denver, with Top 40/Rhythmic a close second.

3. The sports stations aren't doing too well and I'm wondering if format changes are coming... or will they all hold on to see if they will gain with the "Peyton effect" in the Fall.

4. KOSI, #6? What is wrong there?

5. KDHT's new Dance format hasn't gained, while both KQKS and KPTT have... I think with that weak signal in the Denver metro, KDHT is going to have issues getting higher numbers.

Your thoughts on the latest Denver ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rob View Post
    They have been posted on the bottom of our "Denver Radio List/Ratings" page that you can find by clicking the link to it on the left! Or just click this:
    http://www.coloradomedia.net/forums/...id=denverradio

Interesting things I've noticed with these latest ratings:

1. Country as a format is not doing as well as it used to. KYGO is dropping fast...

2. Classic Rock seems to rule in Denver, with Top 40/Rhythmic a close second.

3. The sports stations aren't doing too well and I'm wondering if format changes are coming... or will they all hold on to see if they will gain with the "Peyton effect" in the Fall.

4. KOSI, #6? What is wrong there?

5. KDHT's new Dance format hasn't gained, while both KQKS and KPTT have... I think with that weak signal in the Denver metro, KDHT is going to have issues getting higher numbers.

Your thoughts on the latest Denver ratings?

Actually everything you said I agree with. As for my thoughts on the ratings. What you Rob said about the sports stations I'm have pretty much the same thoughts about Cruisin Oldies KRWZ. I'm not in the age demographic for Oldies but still yet it does surprise me that the ratings haven't gone up above the '1s. of course I may be wrong on that but as far as I can remember it seems they were in the zeros or like I said earlier in the ones and with that said I wonder if there could be changes happening in the future for them as well. Thats just my opinion.
    Last edited by Chase; July 11th, 2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Rewording

The Lincoln Financial stations are hurting. Looks like all of the personnel cuts have come back to haunt them. After years of having KYGO & KS as a strong 1-2 punch, KYGO is in real trouble. They no longer have to worry about whether Jonathan can bring The Wolf up to challenge them. Now the question is, will they sink low enough to let The Wolf really compete?

Lincoln also has 3 other seriously under-performing stations. The 104.3 signal is strong, but they rarely pull even a 2.5 with all that good signal. On top of that, the strong 950 signal is largely being wasted with automated music. Finally, while the 1600 signal is horrible, they used to draw a solid 1 to 1.5 over there with Classic Country. That awful signal will never do well with sports.

Elsewhere-
    The Wolf seems to be holding its own. They were up in this last book, but that was before the departure of Mudflap. It will be interesting to see how that move may impact the numbers.

Wilks seems to be the Southwest Airlines of Denver radio. They're nothing flashy, but they get the job done at low cost.

My final observations are on the sports stations. First, why is Mile High Sports still on the air? Nobody listens. How can they find suckers to dump money into ads on that station?

It's obvious that the loss of ESPN has all but killed 1600, not that they had many listeners even then. So far, 102.3 appears to have benefited greatly with the addition of the ESPN lineup. The weak signal will make it difficult for ESPN to really challenge The Fan, but I'd bet the Lincoln boys are starting to get a little nervous. I kept hearing Dealing Doug's people shoot off their mouths about how they were in the market for a stronger signal for ESPN. If they are able to finally score a better signal, The Fan may be in serious trouble.

PS: I lied - One more thing...
    Did I miss something, or is KNUS completely missing from the list of rated stations? I went through the ratings 3x and never found them. They usually come in with about a 1 - 1.5. The addition of Steve Kelley doesn't seem to have helped them at all. In fact, I guess it may actually be hurting. But then, with no promotion budget, I wonder how many people in Denver even know that Steve is there.
    Last edited by Ghost of Timber Dick; July 12th, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

some longer-term observations:

KBPI is sucking the wind of it's former self. So's KHOW, for that matter.

the fan should've never left 950.

the mountain sounds a lot less adventurous than it used to be. It seems to work, for better or worse. i don't think the playlist is now too far from the original jack.

It'd be temping to lambaste kosi for being #6, except p6+ is nothing but a fashion show and HOLY BATMANS LOINCLOTH, have you noticed how compressed the book is? only 2 points from #1 to #10/11

kvoq: i want to love you, but playing bad songs from bands I don't care about with nasal jocks isn't doing it.

it's starting to be obvious the front range guys know a lot about sports and not much about radio. I understand they're selling from personal relationships rather than ratings.

Good on Geronimo for the month.

You're right, i don't see knus, kbno or the 345 religious stations and translators that abound.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Timber Dick View Post
    PS: I lied - One more thing...
    Did I miss something, or is KNUS completely missing from the list of rated stations? I went through the ratings 3x and never found them. They usually come in with about a 1 - 1.5. The addition of Steve Kelley doesn't seem to have helped them at all. In fact, I guess it may actually be hurting. But then, with no promotion budget, I wonder how many people in Denver even know that Steve is there.

Arbitron's new subscriber-only policy eliminates all non-subscribing stations from the rankings. So, many stations are left out if they don't pay Arbitron.

Arbitron's new subscriber-only policy eliminates all non-subscribing stations from the rankings. So, many stations are left out if they don't pay Arbitron.
    Ah, makes sense. Of course, any station with ratings would want to subscribe. The subscription would more than pay for itself as a sales tool.

I also agree with spikey regarding The Fan's departure from 950. As I recall, they lost the Nuggets & Avs p-b-p over the move. I'm really not sure how they've been able to justify it.

OK, so this isn't the book. this is't what's going on in the market. Mostly, it shreds arbitron's credibility for me. It's one thing to buy the service and use it to sell. it's another to sell without using ratings.. But to edit what's supposedly a neutral and accurate product to fit.. well, that's somewhere between disingenuous and plain ol' creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by spikey View Post
    OK, so this isn't the book. this is't what's going on in the market. Mostly, it shreds arbitron's credibility for me. It's one thing to buy the service and use it to sell. it's another to sell without using ratings.. But to edit what's supposedly a neutral and accurate product to fit.. well, that's somewhere between disingenuous and plain ol' creepy.

They are in the business of making money. But I agree, why hold back information to try to squeeze one more station to subscribe?
    Since they are the "standard" in radio ratings information, they have the power to dictate the rules.

Stations that subscribe DO get ALL of the ratings information. But Arbitron says it is not to be anywhere for the public to see. If someone does make it public, a major lawsuit will happen.

Thread Information