17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 107

0 members and 107 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,035
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,075)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default iHeartMedia Buys KCKK's 93.7FM (93-7 The Rock) Translator

From All Access:

HUNT BROADCASTING LLC is selling K229BS/LAKEWOOD, CO to iHEARTMEDIA's CITICASTERS LICENSES, INC. for $1.8 million. The primary station will be Sports KDSP-A (ORANGE AND BLUE 760)/DENVER.

more

"93.7 The Rock" is going away after 5 years.

Hunt Broadcasting is keeping KCKK 1510AM and their 92.9FM Boulder translator with this deal.
    I wonder if they will sell these too? Or get another Denver-metro FM translator for KCKK instead?

The Hunt's bought 1510AM and 93.7FM for $1.6 Million in December 2013 and closed in March 2014 when they debuted their current AC format.

93.7FM could be where iHeart puts their "Breeze" Soft AC format which is currently on 106.7FM HD-2 with voice tracking for the Denver signal... or keep 760AM its primary station and move that station towards a more general talk format... or something else... stay tuned.

Very sorry to see this happen. I enjoyed listening to The Rock's wide music mix, and was hoping the Hunt family could make a go of it, however low expense/low profit it may have been. I wonder what they will do now with the AM & Boulder translator, I can't believe either has much audience. And it will be interesting to see what iHeart does with 760/93.7 now. More syndicated talk (Freedom760)? sigh.....

I love how there are all these small translators for KOA and Comedy 103.1, etc. I can't pick up either clearly in Parker or Castle Rock. Seems like a bastardized idea to get KOA and now perhaps 760 a pea shooter FM for select metro area listeners.

The best translator signals in Denver in terms of coverage are 103.1FM and 93.7FM. The rest seem to not be as good. 104.7FM has recently completed an upgrade that has also put themselves up there. But they are so limited compared to full signal stations and always will be.

760 already has a license for a translator for 99.9FM in Denver that they have not put into operation.
    https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=202548
    So that's still another option for iHeart to use or to sell. It doesn't have the coverage 93.7FM does.

It will be interesting what plans KCKK/Hunt Broadcasting has in the future. If they have a deal for another translator or not. Or if they will just sell the rest and get out of the biz. Interesting they aren't promoting on the air about 93.7FM going away and still using the "93-7 The Rock" liners. And not steering people to the 1510AM frequency or another one if they are getting another FM translator. Kinda makes me think they are just going to let 93.7FM change without a word.

I guess the deal to sell 93.7FM was signed over a week ago... on May 3rd. Filed on the 10th with the FCC.
    Once the FCC approves the transfer, iHeart gets the 93.7FM translator within 10 days.

If Hunt gets out, who would buy that 1510-AM? it's a troublesome frequency.

I wonder about the translator on 99.1 that broadcasts KGNU-AM1390. It's located on the KGNU tower near Hampden & Sante Fe, is directional to the north, and is never promoted by KGNU on-air or on their website. Is this just a placeholder for a future sale?

Vic Michael (Mountain Community Translators, Cedar Cove Broadcasting, etc.) owns that translator at 99.1FM. KGNU may only be a placeholder for the signal.
    It only covers a small part of the metro area. I've never been able to pick it up driving on the north, south and east end of the metro. I always get KUAD on 99.1FM.

None of these translators are worth much unless they can get their stick onto the mountain to have better coverage. Then if they share a frequency with a full power station in Ft. Collins or Colorado Springs, they will also have big issues getting decent coverage.

Vic's companies have been good about doing what upgrades would be allowed by the FCC. They used to own the translators at 103.1FM, 93.7FM, 94.1FM, 104.7FM, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

None of these translators are worth much unless they can get their stick onto the mountain to have better coverage. Then if they share a frequency with a full power station in Ft. Collins or Colorado Springs, they will also have big issues getting decent coverage...
    I always thought the function of these things was for translator origination or not much more than extortion; wait until you were blocking someone elses' upgrade or move and get paid to go away.

So it looks like "Freedom 93-7" is coming...
    https://www.whois.com/whois/freedom937.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    So it looks like "Freedom 93-7" is coming...
    https://www.whois.com/whois/freedom937.com
    Also earlier today just for fun I did a search for 937thebreeze.com and it too was registered on the same day the "Freedom 93.7" Domain was registered which was was Yesterday. Though from what I can tell it seems that IHeart has slowed down on launching The Breeze format on their stations and so I think Freedom looks more likely. https://www.whois.com/whois/937thebreeze.com
    Last edited by Chase; May 14th, 2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Fixed some typos

Thread Information