17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 237

0 members and 237 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,035
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,075)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default Did the Air Force Academy's KAFA 97.7 leave the air?

I don't find anything on it in the FCC database. It seemed like it was MIA on last visit to the Springs earlier this week.

If you can't hear it on 97.7 go to:

http://www.usafa.org/KAFA <===There you can listen to it online at least
    This post came from Radiodude!

Quote Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post
    I don't find anything on it in the FCC database. It seemed like it was MIA on last visit to the Springs earlier this week.
    KAFA isn't in the FCC database because it's an unlicensed station. The station must have boosted its power because I was able to receive it on the east end of town. Previously, it was only receivable within a mile or so of the AFA. KAFA's signal is spotty to non-existant in parts of downtown and western Colorado Springs due to a licensed repeater of KTLF on 97.5 FM.

It's time to wake up this thread with a DX report of sorts. Picked up a readable KAFA signal on 97.7 this afternoon around 3 on the south side of Pueblo. That's about 50 miles or more. I'm assuming they're 100 watts, but who knows?! "Alternative Music for Colorado Springs live from the Air Force Academy. KAFA 97" I think announcer gave her name as Megan.

This is a strange pirate, or maybe Federal agencies don't need no stinkin FCC license??

I always wondered how KAFA wasn't in the FCC DB... and could just move from 104.5 to 104.3 to 97.7 FM.

I've been told that the feds don't need a proper license. But they do have to keep it 100 watts or less.

There's some government communications antennas up on the mountain just west of the AFA.
    It would be interesting if KAFA could ever get their transmitter up there.

this could easily fall under the jurisdiction of the NTIA, rather the the FCC. However, the ntia's site seems to be down.

Indeed, the consensus of Rob and learned folks on other boards is that federal agencies don't need FCC licenses. Not that the AFA is going to fire up 250 kW of FM on top of Pikes Peak...

The NTIA is probably correct info. I've been told they do have to respect FCC licensed stations (full power, translators, etc.) and if they cause interference, they have to modify their facilities either by changing frequency or power or both. FCC licensed stations are primary.

On a side note on DXing FM stations that just came to mind: I used to live by the Springs airport in the 80s and I used to get FM stations for up to a minute from up to 200 miles away because the signal would reflect from a plane in the air. I did use a rooftop TV antenna hooked up to my receiver to do that.

Thread Information