17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 100

0 members and 100 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,035
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,075)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default Adele Arakawa announces retirement

From FTVLive:

Tegna to Push Out Longtime Denver Anchor?

It appears that TEGNA maybe looking to get rid of a longtime, high salary Denver Anchor.

Sources tell FTVLive that Tegna owned KUSA in Denver is pushing longtime Anchor and FTVLive favorite Adele Arakawa out the door.

Word is very hush-hush, but it appears that the Denver station is "offering" Arakawa a buyout and she is very much being urged to take it.

Arakawa has been at KUSA since 1993, she has anchored the weekday evening newscasts at KUSA for nearly 18 years.

She came to Denver from WBBM in Chicago.

Now, in another move to try and save money, it appears that KUSA is pushing the longtime staffer towards the exit.

Stay tuned....

more

Default Adele Arakawa announces retirement from 9News

From The Denver Post:

Sometimes even the “news leader” gets scooped.

After a TV industry gossip site published a rumor that TEGNA had offered a “buyout” of its high-salaried KUSA anchor Adele Arakawa, pushing the anchor “out the door,” Arakawa went public with her planned announcement:

“I was made aware of (the post on FTVLive.com) this morning. I couldn’t believe it. I had met with (KUSA) management last week to discuss when we were going to announce my retirement.

“My last day is June 30, 2017.”

That will mark 24 years for the respected anchor — on top of the ratings and as a favorite local personality.

The station planned to make the announcement within Tuesday’s late news broadcasts.

Arakawa was encouraged to stay by 9News/TEGNA boss Patti Dennis, and was offered enticements to extend her contract. But it wasn’t about money, Arakawa said.

“Frankly, I never made a secret of the fact that I’m not going to work beyond a certain age. I’m surprised I’ve lasted as long as I have,” she said.

She thinks the timing is right: The day after her planned retirement, she and her husband, Barry Tiller, will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary. Two weeks later, Arakawa will turn 60; the following month, her husband will turn 70.

“He is the most long-suffering husband I know of * my rock and foundation. It would not be fair for him to wait around any longer.” The two plan to spend more time in Arizona, avoiding Denver’s increasingly bad traffic. Besides, she said, “I don’t ski anymore; I’m intolerant of the cold.”

Arakawa expressed dismay at the way her retirement was leaked to and erroneously reported by a gossip site, leading her to lament the current state of news and “fake news.”

“It angers me, it’s this whole specter of fake news. The industry has morphed into something quite different * . We used to be a respected industry. Now people are left trying to distinguish what’s true, what’s false.”

Her hope is that consumers will figure out what’s news and what isn’t, and return to trusted, reliable sources.

Should Denver TV viewers expect a protracted sendoff for her next summer?

“I would like to have a minute to thank everybody and, at 10:35 p.m., walk out the door. I just want to fade off into the sunset.”

more

Default Adele Arakawa announces retirement

From 9 News:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adel-Arakawa-Web_1454628656903_177904_ver1.0.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	897

Recently, there’s been a lot of attention put on “Fake News”.

It’s ugly, insidious and undermines the very values I’ve worked hard to exemplify for my 40 plus years in this business.

It’s unfortunate that I feel compelled to offer a commentary – my first in 43 years – because of Fake News.

This morning, an internet TV gossip writer chose to publish a story that suggests: I’m being forced out – of my position here at 9NEWS.

Here is the truth:

I am leaving. Of my own volition, and contrary to the fake news, I’m not being given a golden parachute. I wish. That’s a joke.

I had wanted to wait at least a few more weeks to announce my retirement, one: because I believe Cheryl Preheim, whose last day at 9NEWS is December 16th , deserves the attention and accolades for her many years here and her contributions to this community – and two: I’m not leaving for another six months!

This was a decision made a year ago. 9NEWS approached me 18 months before my current contract expired to ask me to stay for another term. Twelve months ago, I told them this was it, this is my final contract and that I wanted to retire in June 2017.

Close friends and colleagues have known this for months.

And now – so do you.

The lesson: Beware of Fake News. It’s even redistributed and propagated by normally reliable news sources. Yes, be informed, but make sure that the *truth you seek – is truly that.

more

Thread Information