14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 315

0 members and 315 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,265
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,305)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default Paul MacGregor, Denver Radio's 'Mr. Fix-It,' Dies At 75

From The Denver Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dpl05739721.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	891

Paul MacGregor, a longtime broadcaster known on Denver radio as Mr. Fix-It for three decades, died Nov. 4 in Denver in his sleep. He was 75.

MacGregor’s long-running radio show — Mr. Fix-It — aired in the Denver market and was syndicated to more than 75 radio stations around the country. Premiering as “Fix Up/Paint Up/Call Up” on KOA radio in 1982, the show later took on the Mr. Fix-It name and also aired locally on KCKK and KEZW.

MacGregor also wrote a weekly Mr. Fix-It column for the Rocky Mountain News from 1992 until 1997.

Through his radio show and column, MacGregor counseled thousands in home repair endeavors of plumbing, painting, flooring and heating.

Long before the upsurge of televised “fixer-upper” shows, MacGregor had tapped into the burgeoning home-repair market.

“People have become more attuned to it as one of the biggest segments of the economy, about $200 billion to $300 billion a year,” MacGregor told The Denver Post in 2005.

As Mr. Fix-It, MacGregor remained humble and stayed true to his roots, while keeping a dry wit.

“I’m a broadcaster,” he said in the 2005 interview. “I know how to do a lot of this stuff, but I don’t have to do it.”

Born Sept. 28, 1941, on a farm in Haleyville, Ala., MacGregor began his career in broadcasting as a disc jockey at WLAY in Muscle Shoals. He went on to work in television and radio news, as anchor and reporter, in several markets, including WOR radio in New York City.

MacGregor moved to Denver in 1982 to accept a position with KOA radio, where he also worked as a news reporter.

“My dad taught me radio. He taught me home improvement,” said his daughter, Erin Tidwell, a musician who resides in Los Angeles.

MacGregor’s work as a disc jockey and his love for radio and music were huge influences on Tidwell, she said.

“I remember him turning on the radio. He used to do the disc jockey stuff,” Tidwell recalled.

MacGregor introduced his daughter to zydeco, as well as the music of Chuck Berry and Electric Light Orchestra, among other bands.

“He definitely drove me to pursue my dream,” she said.

MacGregor is survived by wife Joan, five children and five grandchildren.

Memorial arrangements are pending.

Default Paul MacGregor, Denver Radio's 'Mr. Fix-It,' Dies At 75

From All Access:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paulmacgregor2016.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	890

Condolences to family and friends of longtime DENVER radio personality PAUL MACGREGOR, who died NOVEMBER 4th in DENVER at 75, according to the DENVER POST.

MACGREGOR, whose career had already taken him to anchor and reporter positions in markets like BIRMINGHAM, RICHMOND, and TAMPA, and to stations like WOR-A/NEW YORK before moving to KOA-A/DENVER in 1982, hosted "MR. FIX-IT" in DENVER and in syndication for several years.
    The show debuted on KOA in 1982 and later aired on KEZW-A, KLZ-A, and, most recently, KCKK-A; he also wrote a "MR. FIX-IT" column for the now-defunct ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS in 1992-97 and consulted on the DISCOVERY CHANNEL's "WORK IN PROGRESS."

more

Thread Information