17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 222

0 members and 222 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,050
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,090)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default Mark Koebrich retires from 9News after 46 years on the air

From The Denver Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151110__Koebrich-p1-270x203.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	795

Mark Koebrich will retire from KUSA-Channel 9 on Wednesday after 46 years on the air.

It’s been a week of reminiscing and congratulations for the veteran newsman, including a KUSA luncheon Wednesday in his honor. “Koebs,” as he’s affectionately known, was roasted and toasted by past and present 9News staff.

“Ed Sardella was here! Paula Woodward was here! Ron Mitchell! All the old 9Newsers were here. It was old home week,” Koebrich reported by phone afterward. “There was much speechifying. Kim (Christiansen) said many mostly untrue but wonderful things about me*”

Jim Benemann and Tom Mustin, now competitors at KCNC-Channel 4, showed up. Dave Lougee, the former 9News news director who has risen to the top of the Gannett corporate ranks as president of the broadcasting division, sent a taped tribute.

Adele Arakawa, who was out of town on Wednesday, left a taped tribute. “She knows I drink an occasional gin and tonic.” So the crew gave him a specially blended gin in a wooden cask with its own stand. Also, “I spend a lot of time in the yard, so I got lots of lawn and garden tools and implements.”

Asked how he managed to spend 37 years at one place, Koebrich said the secret is to “unplug the flux capacitor and threaten the station*” He said President and General Manager Mark Cornetta met that joke with a weak smile.

Leading up to his departure, Koebrich has joined in the teasing on the air, replaying a clip of a classic mispronunciation, for instance. He joined the station in 1978 at age 28.

The retirement was announced months ago.

Koebrich joined 9NEWS as the station’s southern bureau reporter in Colorado Springs after working for a station in Louisville, Ky. He helped launch the 6 a.m. newscast and, over the years, his co-anchors included former staffers Bertha Lynn and Linda Benzel, and in recent years, Christiansen. He covered the consumer beat, followed the Broncos during four Super Bowls and traveled to cover the Olympics in China, Salt Lake City and Atlanta for both NBC News Channel and KUSA.

Commenting on his tendency to gab, Koebrich said, “They say I’m either a producer’s curse or blessing, depending how much time is left in the show.”

More...

Thread Information