17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 213

0 members and 213 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,035
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,075)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default 30th Anniversary

I know this is off topic, but I think this is very important post to post here..

Coming this Thursday well mark the 30th Anniversary of The worst day in History... Which is when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded!

here is the story from K99's website:

[URL="http://k99.com/30-year-anniversary-remembering-the-challenger-disaster-of-1986/"]

I would like to ask one simple question to you all. Where were you all when this event happened?
    This post came from Radiodude!

I don't know if I'd go that far in terms of the rank in terms of tragedies, but I remember very well where I was.

I was about 100 miles away, in Gainesville in my 2nd year of med school. I was really sick that day, but had a test I had to take, so right after I finished it, I went home, only to hear about it immediately when I got in the car. Spent the rest of the day glued to CNN instead of sleeping.

A couple of interesting sidelights...the astronomy club at UF gathered on one of the campus rooftops to watch the launch as usual, and from that distance, knew immediately something was wrong.

On one of the local news stations, they showed an interview with the governor, who was flying from Miami back to Tallahassee at the time. They were talking about something the legislature was considering, and over the governor's shoulder, out the window of the plane, you could see the Challenger blow up. As bizarre as it seems, nobody on the plane even seemed to notice the shuttle out the window, much less that it blew up. They just continued talking about the mundane state issues.

In the first grade in small town America. I barely remember spending the afternoon watching TV coverage, I was a kid and didn't understand what was happening but the adults were all upset.

Thread Information