17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 191

0 members and 191 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,050
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,090)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Looks like that when Mile High Sports radio returns on June 29 it's going to be on 1340 AM.

http://acetalkingsports.blogspot.com...june-29th.html

I agree that the pot centered format won't last. It's probably a stunt. If not, it's a fad which won't catch on.

I also find it amazing that the feds will allow illegal businesses (by federal standards) to advertise under a federally issued commercial broadcast license. If this all goes on for long enough it's bound to get messy.

Interesting, Chase. I missed THAT. I find it amazing that they're leaking the info on some blog and not on their own website. It leads me to wonder how accurate it actually is. If the info there is correct, I suppose they may actually be waiting on FCC approval, as 1340 is currently licensed as a noncommercial educational station.

Wow, if this is all true, 8 or 10 people are going to have to get used to NOT listing to Mile High Sports Radio on a completely different frequency.

Marco Broadcasting just applied to change the antenna location of 94.1 FM to a different tower on Lookout Mountain. The change will give LESS coverage according to the application. See the image attached to this post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kdcofm.jpg  

I haven't heard anything definite about Mile High Sports moving to 1340 AM on June 29th.
    You would think they would be promoting by now it if it is really happening...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I haven't heard anything definite about Mile High Sports moving to 1340 AM on June 29th.
    You would think they would be promoting by now it if it is really happening...
    I haven't heard anything either. The only places that I've heard about it were tweets from Gil Whitely & Eric Goodman on Twitter, Radio Insight and Dusty Saunder's column in The Denver Post. I agree that if it was actually happening they would be promoting it.

I don't believe that CPR would sell off their AM station at all! In fact the last time i asked them, they said they are keeping 1340 AM. There is no reason for them to sell it off just becasue they are now on FM?
    If the owner is dumb enough to decrease the signal to 94.1 then he is not to bright of a business person, regardless that he says that he is rich.
    Why wouldn't it catch on? It is different yes, but what is wrong about being different? If he was smart, he would go HD and put Mile High on 94.1 FM - 2. I know it is a repeater of the AM side.
    Or he could just have it online only? That is how alot of radio stations are going now these days is just on line.
    This post came from Radiodude!

The paperwork was filed in May with the FCC by CPR to sell 1340 AM. So I'm not sure why you wouldn't believe it, Radiodude.

Also, FM translators cannot broadcast in HD due to FCC rules. Plus, the ibiquity HD technology wouldn't work with just a 250 watt signal.

The antenna change for 94.1 FM might be a case where they have to move due to other business reasons we aren't aware about...

KCNC Channel 4 did a segment tonight during their news on 94.1.

The video is here:
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/06/2...c-for-stoners/

DJ Gary Ganja Hopes To Hit New High With ‘Music For Stoners’

It claims to be the first radio station of its kind in the United States and its getting a lot of different listeners.

“We’re like 420 friendly, we play music for stoners, we have marijuana comedy, this summer we’re giving away trips to Amsterdam and Jamaica,” Gary Ganja said as he started a show in mid-June.

The radio station at Smokin’ 94.1, which includes DJ’s named Mary Jane, Ed Blaze, Stoney Reynolds and the owner Gary Ganja, started on June first. Its marijuana themed from what goes out over-the-air down to the décor inside the office space and, for now, it’s still commercial free.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gary-ganja.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	694

“I had a lady call me the other day from Philadelphia, and somebody else called from LA, and they listen to the radio station from work. I said why do you listen to us and they said our radio stations are boring it seems like you guys are having a good time,” Gary says.

He says he spent nearly a million dollars to buy an old sports-talk station, about $100,000 on new equipment and started playing classic rock, reggae and comedy acts. The station has seven employees with hopes to expand up to about a dozen. Smoking isn’t allowed while DJs are on-air.

“We bought the station to put the fun back in radio which is what we’re doing,” Gary says. “The individual, the mom and pop radio station doesn’t exist.

Name:	smokin-94.jpg 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	695

“I didn’t buy the station to make a lot of money, if it makes a lot of money great but that’s not the goal.”

Gary Ganja’s real name is Marc Paskin, a multi-millionaire who made his fortune in real estate and has spent the past few years giving away most of his money through philanthropic efforts in California and Hawaii. It’s been a wide ranging effort from paying a full-year’s rent for a crime victim, to making a TV show in Hawaii helping the less fortunate, naming himself “Uncle Kokua.”

“The number one thing on my bucket list was to buy an FM radio station and do something fun and unique,” Gary says. “This is my million dollar toy. It’s a toy. Some people who are successful if they make a ton of money, some people buy an airplane, some buy a yacht, I bought a radio station.”

So he’s given up retirement and is working five days a week hosting his afternoon drive time show. He was a DJ as a young adult and wanted to relive the experience, while emphasizing fun, and crazy antics that aren’t allowed at corporate stations.

Name:	pot-radio.jpg 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	696

“All of our listeners are not potheads we get phone calls every day who say I don’t smoke marijuana but you guys are funny,” Gary says.

Gary says he’s budgeted to go commercial-free for a few months, but the popularity is already driving the station toward the murky area where the marijuana industry and advertising collide, something not fully favored by the federal government and the Federal Communication Commission which oversees Radio licenses.

“Right now we’re not taking any advertising. We have people calling us every day, marijuana stores and other advertisers,” Gary says. “The first couple months all we want to do is play music. We’re the only radio station that plays 420 hits in a row with no commercials. It’s building up an audience for us.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The paperwork was filed in May with the FCC by CPR to sell 1340 AM. So I'm not sure why you wouldn't believe it, Radiodude.

Also, FM translators cannot broadcast in HD due to FCC rules. Plus, the ibiquity HD technology wouldn't work with just a 250 watt signal.

The antenna change for 94.1 FM might be a case where they have to move due to other business reasons we aren't aware about...
    Direct from CPR, since i asked this question and here is the response i got just now:

Thanks for your phone call earlier. The press release here indicates that CPR is not selling 1340 AM, but rather exchanging it for 88.3 FM in Fort Collins. The exchange should be approved by the FCC sometime later this summer. Colorado Public Radio purchased 102.3 FM in Denver from Front Range Sports Network back in January.

So that is the offical word..1340 is being exchanged for 88.3 up here *KRKY* and i believe you posted a news article about this anyways.
    This post came from Radiodude!

Thread Information