17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 196

0 members and 196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,050
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,090)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default Classic hits/Oldies KXKL 105.1 FM - first Denver station to go all Christmas music this year. UPDATE: Soft AC KOSI 101.1 FM switches to Christmas tunes a few hours later.

In the rush to the format that seems to get the best ratings of the year, Wilks-owned Classic Hits/Oldies KXKL 105.1 FM beat Soft AC KOSI 101.1 FM today to become the first station in Denver this year to go all Christmas music. Their website is already looking very festive... saying "Denver's KOOL New Christmas Station". Expect KOSI to do it as well very soon.

Default KOSI Has Switched Too

I wonder if KOSI was planning to change this early or that they didn't want KOOL to get a head start. It usually seems like KOSI, in years past, has changed to all Christmas the week before Thanksgiving.

KOSI 101.1 FM switched to Christmas music tonight... probably to not let KXKL get too much of a jump on them...
    I think it's a big mistake for KXKL to change format since they are getting great ratings. The change could alienate listeners who don't want Christmas music. We'll see if this change pays off for them. I think it's a big mistake. We'll see what the ratings say in a couple of months...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    KOSI 101.1 FM switched to Christmas music tonight... probably to not let KXKL get too much of a jump on them...
    I think it's a big mistake for KXKL to change format since they are getting great ratings. The change could alienate listeners who don't want Christmas music. We'll see if this change pays off for them. I think it's a big mistake. We'll see what the ratings say in a couple of months...
    Rob, you were right on when you posted this. KOOL 105 never recovered from their switch last year.

So the battle begins! Great! The war on who gets the best ratings on playing Christmas music! Glad we just have TRI up here playing Christmas music! I feel sorry for the people in
    Denver, now they have to suffer from KOSI to KOOL, again. Great!
    This post came from Radiodude!

This is actually a post from last year (sorry for the confusion). I was just commenting on the fact that last year, KOOL went to an all-christmas format. Rob questioned the wisdom of that decision. Looking back, it was a very bad decision for KOOL. In one month they went from a 4.9 (Nov12) to a 2.0 in December. Everyone knows that KOSI switches to Christmas music this time of year. It's a sure bet for them. Any other station that thinks they can grab some of their listeners by switching should look at KOOL as an example of the disaster that might be awaiting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jam View Post
    Rob, you were right on when you posted this. KOOL 105 never recovered from their switch last year.
    Yeah, pretty big mistake that I bet they are still regretting bigtime...

Some stations can pull it off while others can't. It seems like KOOL couldn't pull it off! At least they don't give up to easily either. It seems like they already tossed in the towel.
    I am listening right now at 6:56 pm on 12/23 and they are back to their regular format. So they must have re-thinked the christmas format.
    This post came from Radiodude!

Quote Originally Posted by radiodude View Post
    Some stations can pull it off while others can't. It seems like KOOL couldn't pull it off! At least they don't give up to easily either. It seems like they already tossed in the towel.
    I am listening right now at 6:56 pm on 12/23 and they are back to their regular format. So they must have re-thinked the christmas format.
    I think you are missing the dates on this thread... this was a thread from a year ago. KXKL didn't switch their format this year (2013) after they lost so much audience last year (2012) doing it. Plus, this isn't 12/23, it's 11/23. ;-)

Thread Information