17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 183

0 members and 183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,050
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,090)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I was thinking that as well that KDSP's peeps would be the leading candidate to buy them...

Mile High Sports would also be up there, especially since they already have a business relationship with KKFN. But Mile High may be low on cash at this moment since they just purchased 2 of the signals they were leasing to be on, KDCO and their 94.1 FM translator.

Huh.. Then what would those boys do with 102.3 then? They already own KJAC (their only powerful station, there is). I am hoping for The Rock to get it and move up the dial quite frankly.
    This post came from Radiodude!

I agree, Rob. I'm sure the Mile High boys would love to have 104.3, but they've always seemingly been short of cash. Unless they find an investor, I think they're out of the picture.

The KDSP group has access to money. They have also been pretty aggressive in trying to upgrade their signal. I'd be shocked if they didn't take a run at this. As for what they would do with the other 2 stations, they may keep one for airing alternate sports programming and overflow games. I also suspect the sale of 104.3 will also include 1600, since Lincoln has wanted it gone for years.

Dude, I don't see The Rock as an option. First, the Entercom people seemingly want to keep sports on 104.3. "Entercom CEO David Field says it has been operated 'somewhat independently,' making it the 'cleanest station' to sell." To me that says that they want The Fan to continue operating, more or less as it is now, for someone else. The comment has previously been made that Entercom may not want to sell to someone would may pull listeners away from their music stations.

The Rock is a seriously low budget operation. I say that in a positive way. They remind me of the old KDKO (in the Dr. Daddio days) in a way. The problem is that radio like that can no longer work on a grand scale in the current landscape. This kind of station made sense when the only advertising options for local business were radio, TV and newspaper. The FCCs ownership rules also encouraged more diversity in ownership then too. The world is a very different place now.

Unlike the old KDKO, The Rock is using experienced DJs. But they're guys who weren't exactly in demand (...they don't command big money). These days there are plenty of those kinds of guys & gals who are looking for work, so wages are going to be pretty low. It's going to be difficult for them to survive over time, even with low budget talent on an inexpensive signal. I'm not sure how deep their pockets are, but I suspect that the 104.3 signal may be more than a bit pricey for them. I hate to say this, because I'd love to see them succeed, but they'll eventually get tired of losing money (or making relative peanuts on the money they've invested) and they'll go away. These kinds of stations always do (KDKO, KCKK on 1600, etc.). If they don't buy the 104.3 signal they'll lose less money on the way out; if they DO get 104.3 their losses will increase exponentially.

My questions are more logistical, will the current Lincoln cluster remain on Orchard Road or will one both of the clusters move and merge into a new facility? While I have never been in Entercom's building, I have been in LFM numerous times and its pretty top shelf.

Besides the Fan being divested, wonder what other immediate changes will be made. I wonder if KYGO and KS will see many changes, they are arguably the two most recognized radio stations in Denver.

It's kinda funny, Jonathan Wilde working for the company that bought his former employer.

I think all of the stations are pretty well placed in the market ratings-wise and you won't notice any changes once the sale goes through.

As for merging all of the stations into one location, we will have to wait and see what they think they can do. It will eventually happen since it saves a lot of money.

I agree with everything Ghost of Timber Dick said and do think that they will try to sell KKFN and KEPN as a combo, probably in the $5-10 million range; most likely closer to $5 Million.

Default Which Denver FM will be spun off? Who will buy it?

From The Denver Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	entercom-150x150.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	603

Which Denver radio FM station will Entercon spin off in order to close its $105 million purchase of Lincoln Financial Media? And who are the potential buyers?

Insiders suggest the spinoff station will be the all-sports “104.3 the Fan” KKFN. And word is, it could be snapped up by a noncommercial suitor. Frankly, I’d love to see Colorado Public Radio’s Open Air (KVOQ 1340 AM) get an FM position so that those of us listening in cars wouldn’t have to depend on the weaker AM signal.

Assisting in this guessing game is Chuck Lontine, a broadcasting veteran and retired investment banker with many Denver radio station deals to his credit.

“This is a perfect opportunity for CPR to acquire a strong FM,” Lontine said. The idea would be either to boost KVOD to a stronger channel or move Open Air to an FM home on 88.1.

He also suggests Rocky Mountain PBS, which owns jazz KUVO-FM at 89.3, could use a partner, while Community Radio for Northern Colorado’s KUNC at 91.5 “has longed to enter the Denver-Boulder metro for many years.”

Does KUNC have the means to buy into the market? “I believe that KUNC’s followers are in a strong enough position to make a Denver signal both a reality and attainable. Station manager Neil Best is one of the more passionate individuals I have have ever worked with and I strongly believe that he could get it done.”

Lontine told a radio trade report there are possible suitors on the Christian radio side and in the commercial arena, including Latino Broadcasting’s heritage KBNO at 1280, which has “a remarkable opportunity to enter the FM world, to compete with powerhouse Entravision” and its regional Mexican KXPK at 96.5.

Add to the list of guesses: Maybe the spinoff won’t be The Fan but instead “Cruisin’ Oldies 950” KRWZ. Any others?

More...

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Media Newsroom View Post

Add to the list of guesses: Maybe the spinoff won’t be The Fan but instead “Cruisin’ Oldies 950” KRWZ. Any others?

More...
    It HAS TO BE one of the FM signals spun-off... not an AM.

Maybe WILKS will buy 104.3 or whatever FM signal is spun off?

Joanne Ostrow mentions that 104.3 may be sold to a non-commercial outlet. I thought all public stations had to be at the lower end of the FM dial. Has this rule changed?

A non-comm can buy a comm station.

Way-FM did it here in Denver when they bought 101.9 FM in 2010.
    And when EMF bought 103.9 FM in Fort Collins in 2013.

Thread Information