17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 182

0 members and 182 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,050
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,090)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talk KOA 850 AM coming to FM at 107.9 FM in Southeast Denver. UPDATE: Moving to central Denver.

According to an application submitted to the FCC on August 5th, Way-FM has applied to move K300CP, a translator they have a construction permit for at 107.9 FM in Hilltop (a few miles east of Castle Rock), to KOA 850 AM's tower in Parker with 250 watts. You can see the application here.

Mentioned in the application is that it will now repeat Clear Channel's KRFX 103.5 FM HD-2. That HD channel is currently carrying Clear Channel Talk KOA 850 AM.
    "BECAUSE OF THE NATURE OF THE CONTRACTURAL AGREEMENT WITH THE PRIMARY STATION, THE APPLICANT RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS AN EXPEDITED PROCESSING OF THIS INSTANT APPLICATION TO MODIFY THIS CONSTURCTION PERMIT."

Here's the coverage area of that signal:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	507

Interesting choice of frequency that Clear Channel chosed to put KOA on? How is thatr going to work anyways? I mean there is already 2 stations that bleed through on 107.9.. The Bear and KADZ. How did they get approved by the fcc on this one? I know it looks like low power frequency, but still there is those two stations to consider?
    This post came from Radiodude!

It's a translator that was approved by the FCC before this deal between Way-FM and Clear Channel was made. Clear Channel didn't have too many choices when it came to being able to find an FM signal in the area that they could use for KOA.

KPAW FM is about 100 miles away, so very little interference worries there. And even if there were, Clear Channel owns it and is willing to accept any of it happening.

I'm not familiar with KADZ...

Look for Clear Channel to find other FM translators for KOA to cover central, west and the northern Denver metro areas...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It's a translator that was approved by the FCC before this deal between Way-FM and Clear Channel was made. Clear Channel didn't have too many choices when it came to being able to find an FM signal in the area that they could use for KOA.

KPAW FM is about 100 miles away, so very little interference worries there. And even if there were, Clear Channel owns it and is willing to accept any of it happening.

I'm not familiar with KADZ...

Look for Clear Channel to find other FM translators for KOA to cover central, west and the northern Denver metro areas...
    Sorry I meant to write KDZA, and I know CC owns that station, but still KPAW can be heard that far south and it does bleed into KDZA, so this would be interesting to hear 3 stations bleeding into each other.
    You got to remember KDZA and KPAW have the same power of range, 1 thousand watts of power.

Both KPAW's and KDZA's signals won't make a bit of difference to the signal in the coverage area for this translator.

There's always a chance that you could hear all 3 if you go west or east of the coverage area for this translator. But the FCC only cares about if the signals are protected within a specific service contour.

There are many spots in the area already where you can get up to 3 or 4 signals on the same frequency, depending on where you are. It's beginning to become more and more common with all of the new translators/move-ins.

I have been thinking about this.. What good is it to put KOA on 107.9 as a low power frequency in the first place? The coverage is so small, who would want to tune into it? You can't hear it all over Denver on that frequency at all? I think this is a complete waste of CC money actaully and not a good idea reall.

The FCC has granted this application. So look for KOA on 107.9 FM very soon!

Way-FM has applied with the FCC to move this translator from Parker to central Denver. The coordinates map to the CenturyLink Tower (information corrected 11/25/14), 40 feet above the roof-line at 250 watts. This should give coverage to a lot of Denver. They have applied to repeat one of KBCO's HD channels. Right now KBCO only has their main signal and their "Studio-C" format on their HD channels. So I'm not sure if they will add another HD channel to still carry KOA 850 AM or if it will be a totally new format... Here's the proposed coverage map compared to KBCO's coverage.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  

The FCC has granted the application above to move the translator at 107.9 FM to Denver.

I was incorrect about the coordinates of the transmitter.

It is licensed to be on the CenturyLink Tower at 1801 California St. I corrected the above post I made.

So far, KBCO only has their main format and the studio-c format on their HD channels. So I'm not sure if they will use one of these formats for the translator, or add KOA to an HD feed later.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K300CP_FX_CU.gif  

Thread Information