14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 291

0 members and 291 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,265
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,305)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default Retirement community residents start radio station

From 9 News:

Video story here: http://www.9news.com/video/default.a...=2775424337001

Who says you can't teach an old dogs new tricks? A couple of local DJ's would beg to differ. They're bringing back big band music and the classics.

The residents at Holly Creek Retirement community started up radio station HCRK.

They're in their first few weeks, but they already have quite the lineup.

They have a sports show and comedy show. They air big band music and replay old shows.

"So people can go back and listen to the old show. [There's] a lot of reminiscing since the average age around here is 82," Dick Gustafson said.

They get their shows and music from residents who donate their collections.

But for the DJ's and residents of Holly Creek, it's more than just music and shows. It's a trip down memory lane.

"They bring back memories of things I haven't thought about in years. It's fun," Gustafson said.

Right now, it's not all glitz and glamour like show biz typically is. It's early mornings and long days.

"Right now I am a little tired. My wife said, 'Why don't you bring your bed over here'," Gustafson said.

Moving forward on HCRK, yes, the music and shows will help bring back memories - but they also play a part now in creating new ones.

To learn more about Holly Creek Retirement community go to: http://www.hollycreekretirementcommunity.org/

more

My mother is 83, and although she liked big band music, like Tommy Dorsey, she'd rather hear Chicago Transit Authority. She can still rock out to the Rolling Stones and knows all the old Top40 hits of the '50s and '60s, '70s classic rock album artists, plus listens to today's country artists. And she's not adverse to listening to anything new that I may turn her on to as well.

HCRK should use call letters like KHCK, as, west of the Mississipp', stations use a 'K.' Do they call the station "The Creek," or perhaps "The Creeky"? -Kidding, I'm kidding!

Hey, great going! Have fun and enjoy yourselves!

Thread Information