17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 168

0 members and 168 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,052
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,092)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default KDCO 1550 AM For Sale. UPDATE: KDCO Now On The Air And Carrying Mile High Sports

I was browsing the stations for sale on Radio/TV Deals and found this ad:

"Colorado, Denver, KDCO-AM (CP) Golden, CO, 1550 Khz, 0.99 KW-D, 350w-N

New AM Construction Permit, KDCO Golden, Colorado. Curent CP calls for 990 watts daytime non-directional and 350 watts night with a 2 tower directional. Zoning and permits approved for the 2 new 150 foot guyed towers. Ground lease 2K per month. Will construct for additional $'s.

Could easily increase the daytime power to 7,000 watts non-directional, and up to about 1,800 watts at night with a more complex directional array.

Will place 5 mv/m city grade over the Denver Metro. Great opportunity to enter metro market #19. CP only.

Asking $50,000 but all offers considered.
    "

Anyone want to own a new AM station in Denver? Here's your chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I was browsing the stations for sale on Radio/TV Deals and found this ad:

"Colorado, Denver, KDCO-AM (CP) Golden, CO, 1550 Khz, 0.99 KW-D, 350w-N

New AM Construction Permit, KDCO Golden, Colorado. Curent CP calls for 990 watts daytime non-directional and 350 watts night with a 2 tower directional. Zoning and permits approved for the 2 new 150 foot guyed towers. Ground lease 2K per month. Will construct for additional $'s.

Could easily increase the daytime power to 7,000 watts non-directional, and up to about 1,800 watts at night with a more complex directional array.

Will place 5 mv/m city grade over the Denver Metro. Great opportunity to enter metro market #19. CP only.

Asking $50,000 but all offers considered.
    "

Anyone want to own a new AM station in Denver? Here's your chance!
    RadioTVDeals has an updated listing for KDCO. The new ad says the station is almost finished being built and "should be on the air soon." It is being offered for $600,000.

Wow, a new AM station? What a first, there hasn't been a new AM station in this side of Colorado in years! Who would want to put a new AM station in the first place? I thought AM was dying slowly?
    So I wonder what format this station well take on? Why is the station taking the same name as the TV station out of Sterling?
    This post came from Radiodude!

Quote Originally Posted by radiodude View Post
    Wow, a new AM station? What a first, there hasn't been a new AM station in this side of Colorado in years! Who would want to put a new AM station in the first place? I thought AM was dying slowly?
    So I wonder what format this station well take on? Why is the station taking the same name as the TV station out of Sterling?
    Dying? Tell that to KOA. LOL

What "same name" are you talking about?

It appears that KDCO's towers are southwest of me on Highway 93 near Rocky Flats. Not sure how well 990 watts at 1550 AM from there will cover Denver or Boulder. We'll have to see once it goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Dying? Tell that to KOA. LOL

What "same name" are you talking about?

It appears that KDCO's towers are southwest of me on Highway 93 near Rocky Flats. Not sure how well 990 watts at 1550 AM from there will cover Denver or Boulder. We'll have to see once it goes on...
    The names aren't quite the same. Channel 3 in Sterling is actually KCDO, while the new AM station is KDCO.

If 990 watts isn't enough, the ad states power could be increased to 7,000 watts daytime.

The revised ad also offers an FM translator for additional money.

Looking at the nighttime directional antenna pattern, it appears to mainly cover the western suburbs. The non-directional daytime antenna should put more of a signal into Denver.

I did some digging and the only FM translator that could be the one mentioned in the ad is one at 99.9 FM. It is owned by Vic Michael, same as KDCO AM. It has a construction permit to cover a part of the north west Denver suburbs (see coverage map I attached), but will face some major interference from the north because of KKPL 99.9 FM in Ft. Collins and from the south from KVUU 99.9 FM in Colorado Springs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k260al.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	336

KDCO AM has been granted permission from the FCC to conduct transmitter tests between March 20th through June 18th. So keep an ear out for 1550 AM's signal.

KDCO 1550 AM is on the air and has started to broadcast the Mile High Sports format that is on 94.1 FM Denver/96.9 FM Boulder.
    Vic Michael's Cedar Cove Broadcasting owns 1550 AM and 94.1 FM. Chuck Lontine owns 96.9 FM. I assume they are all being run by Mile High Sports under an LMA. 94.1 FM will be moving to 104.7 FM with more power. More details in this thread.

Thread Information