14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 323

0 members and 323 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,279
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,319)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Here's the info on the transmitter link:
    http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...licKey=3165858

Air1 makes sense since 93.9 up north and whatever the other frequency is her in Denver are already polluting the airwaves with k-love.

From All Access June 2009:
    "TED and JANA TUCKER's COCHISE MEDIA LICENSES is buying KPAU/CENTER, CO and KYEN/SEVERANCE, CO from COLLEGE CREEK MEDIA for $805,000 ($780,000 for KYEN, $25,000 for KPAU)."

So they almost doubled their money, minus expenses for the last 4 years of running commercial-free. My estimate is it cost $10,000-15,000 a month to keep it going... so they made a little on the sale.

I'm told they buy these stations to resale but aren't in a hurry to sell unless the offer is right. They try to keep costs down and wait.

The Tuckers aren't greedy or uncaring. They're very nice folks. They're business people...and pretty good ones. They've been doing this for years and have done rather well.

Ted is a former pharmacist (legal kind) and a fan of various types of music. He enjoys broadcasting the tunes that nobody else plays anymore. His personal collection is huge, and he loves the music he puts on his stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Timber Dick View Post
    The Tuckers aren't greedy or uncaring. They're very nice folks. They're business people...and pretty good ones. They've been doing this for years and have done rather well.

Ted is a former pharmacist (legal kind) and a fan of various types of music. He enjoys broadcasting the tunes that nobody else plays anymore. His personal collection is huge, and he loves the music he puts on his stations.
    I am just upset that he did this? I thought he was going to keep KYEN going forever, he brought a good station to Northern Colorado and filled in a gap that wasn't there before? And now this?
    I know he might not be greedy or uncaring, but it just seems like all he cared about is making a profit and not caring that other people started to like and listen to KYEN and his music. Now that is going to be gone forever. KYEN was the only station that truly played every single classic rock songs out there! And it proved that a commercial station can run without commercials. *sigh*.
    Now we are going to have AIR 1 before thanksgiving. I truly enjoyed KYEN, even listening to it on line.
    This post came from Radiodude!

I too am sad to see KYEN leave the airwaves. It's been a breath of fresh air from what every other radio station offers. But I also understand the economics of the whole thing. Best case scenario would be if the deal fell through and they hired a sales team to make it profitable. But, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I do have a question though. Sounds like this is going to be a non-commercial station once it changes to Air1. I thought all non-commercial stations were at the lower end of the FM dial, with the commercial stations starting at 92.1. Is this not the case anymore?

I got some additional information on this sale...

The parties to the deal agree that KYEN's value is higher than the $1.325M price tag. So the station will be appraised and any value in excess of $1.325M will be treated as a charitable contribution that Ted Tucker’s Cochise Broadcasting can use for a tax write-off.

Cochise is NOT contributing any of the intellectual property to the sale. Cochise is retaining the right to use the KYEN calls, slogans “Rocks the Rockies,” “We Rock the Rockies,” and “Rock the Rockies” as well as website rocktherockies.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I got some additional information on this sale...

The parties to the deal agree that KYEN's value is higher than the $1.325M price tag. So the station will be appraised and any value in excess of $1.325M will be treated as a charitable contribution that Ted Tucker’s Cochise Broadcasting can use for a tax write-off.

Cochise is NOT contributing any of the intellectual property to the sale. Cochise is retaining the right to use the KYEN calls, slogans “Rocks the Rockies,” “We Rock the Rockies,” and “Rock the Rockies” as well as website rocktherockies.com.
    That is a lot of money just for a transmitter and a computer system? More like a Transmitter that is flakey by going off the air a lot of times. I woudn't think KYEN would be worth that much money at all? I mean I can understand if it was an actual radio station, but it's not. It's just a transmitter linked into a computer system.

Quote Originally Posted by radiodude View Post
    That is a lot of money just for a transmitter and a computer system? More like a Transmitter that is flakey by going off the air a lot of times. I woudn't think KYEN would be worth that much money at all? I mean I can understand if it was an actual radio station, but it's not. It's just a transmitter linked into a computer system.
    It's a real station and worth more than EMF is paying for it. The license has a good amount of people in its coverage area. That's its value. It will be interesting to see if it comes out how much it is appraised for before the sale. It will probably be closer to $1.75 - $2 million range.

As for the transmitter, I'm sure EMF will have an engineer fix/replace whatever needs to be.

Remember how Cochise operates... they kept KYEN going just enough to broadcast most of the time to show what it can do to potential buyers. They didn't dump any more money than they had to since the plan all the long was to turn around and sell it.

EMF can easily plug in either a satellite delivery system at the transmitter or have a microwave link to their Denver facilities to link it to the Air1 feed. A station can't be valued on having a studio or not because that really isn't required anymore with today's technology. A lot of stations are now in a closet with just a computer and a mixing board/mic for a DJ to voicetrack breaks.

But as DavieGravy pointed out a few posts back in this thread, KYEN did/does have a studio facility in Loveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It's a real station and worth more than EMF is paying for it. The license has a good amount of people in its coverage area. That's its value. It will be interesting to see if it comes out how much it is appraised for before the sale. It will probably be closer to $1.75 - $2 million range.

As for the transmitter, I'm sure EMF will have an engineer fix/replace whatever needs to be.

Remember how Cochise operates... they kept KYEN going just enough to broadcast most of the time to show what it can do to potential buyers. They didn't dump any more money than they had to since the plan all the long was to turn around and sell it.

EMF can easily plug in either a satellite delivery system at the transmitter or have a microwave link to their Denver facilities to link it to the Air1 feed. A station can't be valued on having a studio or not because that really isn't required anymore with today's technology. A lot of stations are now in a closet with just a computer and a mixing board/mic for a DJ to voicetrack breaks.

But as DavieGravy pointed out a few posts back in this thread, KYEN did/does have a studio facility in Loveland.
    There isn't a Denver facilities that carries AIR 1? Denver doesn't even have an Air 1 station. Where in Loveland is this supposedly studio that carries KYEN's music then?
    And where in the FCC pages does one find such info? As i recall I asked him about on Day one and he told me that it was just a computer tired into the transmitter on (name excaspes me right now) that mountain

Quote Originally Posted by radiodude View Post
    There isn't a Denver facilities that carries AIR 1? Denver doesn't even have an Air 1 station. Where in Loveland is this supposedly studio that carries KYEN's music then?
    And where in the FCC pages does one find such info? As i recall I asked him about on Day one and he told me that it was just a computer tired into the transmitter on (name excaspes me right now) that mountain
    Just follow DavieGravy's link that he posted above for the addy of KYEN's licensed facility in Loveland.

EMF owns both "K-Love" and "Air1", so they could easily microwave the "Air1" feed, from their current facilities in Denver, to KYEN's transmitter.

Are you not aware how stations usually get their programming to their transmitters? We could go into it in deeper details if you are still confused.

Thread Information