17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 77

0 members and 77 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,052
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,092)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default KHOW Radio post-Peter Boyles: the end of localism? Update: Mandy Connell named Boyles' replacement - will move to Denver.

From The Denver Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joe-pags-pagliarulo-270x280.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	220
    Joe Pags, talk radio host based in Texas

In the aftermath of the abrupt departure of longtime Denver talk-show host Peter Boyles from the KHOW airwaves, the station’s managers have been rotating a number of interim hosts through the studio without naming a replacement. The Independence Institute’s Jon Caldara has been the biggest local name among them. According to Clear Channel’s Greg Foster, “no decisions have been made regarding mornings on 630 KHOW. We’re taking a listen to a lot of different hosts, including Joe Pags* and you’ll hear some other voices over the next few weeks.”
    Staffers who spoke anonymously due to the sensitivity of the topic said there is a high degree of nervousness within the building regarding Pags as the key to the morning show’s future. Many are convinced Joe Pags (Pagliarulo) essentially has the gig. He’s been substituting this week, they say, as a way to get the technical bugs out before he officially assumes the post.
    Pags does an early evening show on Clear Channel’s flagship station, WOAI in San Antonio. “The real slap in the face to those of us in Denver is that Pags isn’t going to leave San Antonio. He’s going to stay there and do both shows. So, our “local” morning show is going to be done by a guy sitting in Texas.” That solution would be in keeping with Clear Channel’s trend toward syndicated shows and fewer live and local hosts.
    No matter how you felt about Boyles — and emotions ran high on all sides — he was all about Denver, a strong voice weighing in on all things Colorado. The idea that a Denver morning radio show can be plugged in from out of state is one of those unfortunate mistakes the bean counters tend to make when cutting costs. Sure, the local folks can do cut-ins for weather and traffic, but then it’s back to generic talk with no geographic connection. Various 24-hour cable TV channels, satellite radio networks and NPR provide that. Local radio has the capacity to be something different. Something truly local. It would be a shame if KHOW gave up that distinction.

More...

I got an email from someone who says that KHOW will be going with a live local morning show and that the permanent host will not be Joe Pags (Pagliarulo), but will be a female who has already auditioned on the air...

Name:	1158_1307030063.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	219

I've been told that Mandy Connell will be named the permanent KHOW 630 AM morning show host effective August 19th. Connell is currently on Clear Channel Talker WHAS 840 AM in Louisville, Kentucky from 9am-noon. Connell has also held on-air positions at stations in Orlando and Fort Myers Florida. In addition, she has been heard nationally, guest-hosting both "America Now with Andy Dean" and "The Weekend with Joe Pags" for Premiere Networks. I'm told Connell holds very conservative political views and got in hot water in 2010 calling President Obama "a young half-breed man".

Default KHOW’s successor to Boyles is Mandy Connell

From The Denver Post:

KHOW Mandy Connell

Effective August 19, “The Mandy Connell Show” will take the place of the KHOW Morning News, weekdays from 5-9 a.m., Clear Channel announced Wednesday. She previously was a talk-show host on Clear Channel’s WHAS in Louisville, Ky. She had experience in Orlando and Ft. Meyers, Fl., and has also served as guest host for the syndicated “America Now with Andy Dean” and “The Weekend with Joe Pags” for Clear Channel’s Premiere Networks.
    Longtime KHOW personality Peter Boyles left the station in June after an explosive incident with a colleague. Boyles is now at KNUS and will provide morning competition for the newcomer to Denver.
    Earlier speculation about Clear Channel’s next choice as host had centered on syndicated folks allied with Premiere Networks, as opposed to a local voice with years of experience in the market. Will Connell mean the end of localism for 630 AM? In a statement released by the station announcing the hire, she is quoted as saying, “Moving to Denver has been my goal for many years. The city is vibrant, beautiful and full of great people – when you throw the mountains into the mix, there simply isn’t a better place to be. When you listen to my show, you’ll hear the things you and your friends talk about.

More...

Default Radio Online - KHOW/Denver Names Mandy Connell as Morning Host

From Radio Online:

Name:	MandyConnellLarge.gif 
Views:	11 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	221

KHOW-AM (TalkRadio 630) Denver taps 16-year radio vet Mandy Connell as its new morning host, weekdays from 5-9am, effective August 19. Most recently, she hosted a talk program on sister WHAS-AM (NewsRadio 84) in Louisville. Connell has also held on-air positions at stations in Orlando and Fort Myers. In addition, she has been heard nationally, guest-hosting both "America Now with Andy Dean" and "The Weekend with Joe Pags" for Premiere Networks.

"Moving to Denver has been my goal for many years. The city is vibrant, beautiful and full of great people -- when you throw the mountains into the mix, there simply isn't a better place to be," said Connell. "When you listen to my show, you'll hear the things you and your friends talk about. Pop culture, politics and those questions about life you ponder are all fair game-only funnier."

"We're fortunate to have a host of Mandy's caliber at the helm of TalkRadio 630 KHOW's morning show," said VP/Programming Greg Foster. "Mandy's entertaining style, humor and passion are sure to connect with TalkRadio 630 KHOW's listeners and advertisers."

more

I'm not trying to be sexist, but I've never heard a good female conservative talk radio host. I predict it'll be some fluffy morning drive crap. It'll be interesting to sit back and watch KHOW's ratings tank after this.

Thread Information