17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays

None

Online Users: 405

0 members and 405 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,266, August 18th, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Stats

Members: 3,608
Threads: 25,050
Top Poster: Colorado Media Newsroom (45,090)
Welcome to our newest member, EmelyC2670

Visitor Map

Default Longtime Denver sports-talk radio host Irv Brown dies at 83

The Fan did a tribute this morning. I am sure more will happen this week on all sports stations.

From Fox31:

Longtime Denver sports-talk radio host Irv Brown dies at 83

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irv.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	1021

Irv Brown, a longtime Denver sports-talk radio host, died Sunday morning. He was 83.

Brown spent more than 40 years on the air until his retirement in April 2016.

Brown was born in Denver in March 1935, graduated from North High School in Denver and what is now known as the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley.

He started his career as a sports reporter on KHOW 630 AM in 1974 and worked for numerous years with partner Joe Williams as part of “The Irv and Joe Show.”

The show was on numerous stations over the years but it ended on Mile High Sports radio 1340 AM in 2016.

“I consider Irv Brown the most iconic, legendary TV sports and radio broadcaster in the history of Colorado,” Vic Lombardi, who works for Altitude TV, told the Denver Post in 2016. “He was one of the pioneers of sports radio in the country.”

Brown also coached baseball, football and basketball at Arvada High School. He also coached baseball at the University of Colorado and started and coached the baseball program at Metropolitan State University of Denver.

Brown was also a basketball official and worked six NCAA Tournament Final Fours.

He was inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame in 1997.

Default Irv Brown, Longtime Denver Sports Talk Radio Host, Dies At 84

From All Access:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IrvBrown2019.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	1023

IRV BROWN, a longtime fixture in sports talk radio in the DENVER market, died SUNDAY morning (2/3) at 84, reports the GREELEY TRIBUNE.

After a coaching career on the high school and college level, including as head baseball coach and assistant football coach at the UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO, and a basketball officiating career that included six NCAA Final Fours, BROWN joined KHOW-A/DENVER in 1974, then became a commentator on ESPN in the network's early years. His sports talk radio started with a show co-hosted by DENVER POST columnist WOODY PAIGE on KWBZ-A/DENVER, followed by a long run with JOE WILLIAMS on "THE IRV AND JOE SHOW," which aired for several years on Sports KKFN (104.3 THE FAN), KEPN-A (ESPN RADIO 1600), and MILE HIGH SPORTS RADIO until the show's end in 2016.

more

Default ‘One of a kind’: Joe Williams remembers longtime radio partner Irv Brown

From: http://1043thefan.com/2079870/joe-wi...ers-irv-brown/

‘One of a kind’: Joe Williams remembers longtime radio partner Irv Brown

Sitting across the desk each day doing three hours of sports talk, Joe Williams said Monday, means you’re spending more time with radio partner than nearly anyone else in your life — except for maybe family.

For 37 years, Williams did just that, stared across that desk at his radio partner, Irv Brown, meaning he likely knew the Denver broadcast legend perhaps better than nearly anyone else.

“You get to where you know just about * not only know their thoughts and opinions on every single thing (but) you almost know what they’re thinking before it comes out of their mouth,” Williams said. “And it’s almost enough to make you sick on one another until you realize, you know what, people would die, they would kill to be doing what we’re doing.

“You bring it back in and you realize how lucky you are.”

Joining “The Drive” on Monday, Williams reflected on the life of his decades-long colleague and friend Brown, who passed away Sunday from an aggressive form of lymphoma.

“He was one of a kind. * I don’t think we’re ever going to see his likes again across the sports landscape, not just in Denver. I mean the whole state,” Williams said. “You can’t go anywhere where people don’t know who Irv Brown is or who he was. We’re all going to miss him.”

Brown’s influence indeed reached far and wide, with hundreds of tributes pouring in after the news of his death.

But perhaps the greatest tribute to Brown, a well-respected sports official who called six Final Four matchups, is on the day of his passing, one of his many protégés, and former radio technical operator, Terrence Miles served as the back judge for Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta.

“There’s a lot of examples just like that, that Irv helped,” Williams said. “It was because of Irv.”

Brown, a Denver native and North High School graduate, also coached baseball, football, and basketball at Arvada High School as well as baseball at the University of Colorado and Metro State College, where he a member of the school’s Hall of Fame.

And Williams said that, despite years having passed, Brown would always remember his former pupils when they’d run into him about town or on a remote broadcast.

“He was always interested in people, not just the big-shots. Not just the stars. People that he taught and he coached in high school,” Williams said. “We’d be on remotes and people would come up to him. And I just could believe it. He would always remember their names, the dates, almost the years they played. I mean, it was incredible.

“After a while, of course, I got used to it because I realized that’s Irv. This is just who he is. And he always took an interest in people never expecting anything in return.”

Williams said Brown would always try to help people out, find people employment, even crediting his own broadcasting career to his partner.

“It was a great credit to Irv. He’s the one that got me started. I have no idea why he picked me. I have no idea at all,” Williams said. “But we had a great relationship over the years.”

Thread Information