PDA

View Full Version : Marco Broadcasting's Smokin' 94.1 (K231BQ 94.1 FM) Sold To iHeart. UPDATE: 94.1 FM Now Carries KOA. KBUD 1550 AM Also Sold - To Become "The Cloud".

radiodude
October 19th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Ok, so a cording to Bo Reynolds post on Fb, it seems like Smokin 94.1 is now an Iheart radio station?
Can anyone prove that this is true?

Rob
October 19th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I've been told that Marco Broadcasting-owned Classic Rock/Pot Talk formatted "Smokin' 94.1" (KBUD 1550 AM/K231BQ 94.1 FM Golden) is being sold to iHeart radio for an undisclosed amount.

The station will rebroadcast Talk KOA 850 AM once iHeart takes over.
In addition to 850 AM, KOA is carried on a translator located in downtown Denver at 107.9 FM.
And iHeart plans on carrying KOA on their K231AA 94.1 FM Boulder translator as well in the next few weeks.

iHeart had filed an FCC complaint (http://www.coloradomedia.net/forums/showthread.php?63501-KBUD-(Smokin-94-1)-Says-Hackers-Briefly-Knocked-Station-Off-Air-iHeart-Files-FCC-Complaint-Against-Station) against Marco's K231BQ 94.1 FM Golden translator in July for interfering with their K231AA 94.1 FM Boulder translator.
This sale may be a compromise on/reaction to that complaint.

jtr115
October 23rd, 2015, 04:48 AM
I have found the filing transferring the 94.1 translator to Citicasters a.k.a. iHeartMedia:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_list.pl?Arn=20151022AEC
It will rebroadcast KOA via KBCO-HD3.

I don't see any documents or articles announcing the sale of AM 1550 itself to iHeart. iHeart already owns eight full-power stations in Denver.

Colorado Media Newsroom
October 23rd, 2015, 06:32 AM
From Radio Insight:

The Pot Rock format of “Smokin 94.1” K231BQ/1550 KBUD Golden, CO will come to a premature end after just five months. Marco Broadcasting has sold the K231BQ translator to iHeartMedia for $950,000. The 250 watt translator will begin to carry programming of News/Talk 850 KOA via 97.3 KBCO-HD3 on Friday, October 30 according to the Rebroadcasting Agreement included in the contract. Midday host Bo “Stoney” Reynolds, a longtime veteran of the Denver market posted online earlier this week that he’s out with the sale. 1550 KBUD is not included in the sale, but a sale of that should be forthcoming as the demise of the station was forced by a medical situation involving owner Marc Paskin. Paskin has also been hosting afternoons on Smokin as “Gary Ganja”. Paskin launched the station on June 1 with a mix of Rock music, Marijuana news, and the Bubba The Love Sponge morning show.

more (https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/95001/iheart-acquires-smokin-94-1-denver/)

Colorado Media Newsroom
October 23rd, 2015, 06:32 AM
From All Access:

MARCO BROADCASTING CORPORATION is selling K231BQ/GOLDEN, CO (DENVER) to iHEARTMEDIA's CITICASTERS LICENSES, INC. for $950,000. The translator will rebroadcast the HD3 stream of Triple A KBCO/BOULDER-DENVER starting on NOVEMBER 1st under a Rebroadcast Agreement before closing; word in the market is that the HD3 channel will feed the programming of News-Talk KOA-A/DENVER to the translator, which presently airs the pot-themed programming of MARCO's KBUD-A (SMOKIN' 94.1)/DENVER.

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/146953/iheartmedia-buys-denver-fm-translator?ref=rss)

Rob
October 23rd, 2015, 10:16 AM
You are correct jtr115 about KBUD AM not being part of the sale and iHeart at the ownership limits for the market. Thanks for pointing that out. I just changed the thread title to reflect that the translator is the only part of the sale. I wonder what will become of KBUD 1550 AM and who will buy it?

I'm sending good thoughts to Marc Paskin on his medical situation.

radiodude
November 1st, 2015, 03:20 PM
To wrap up on this conversation. I spoke to Bo just today and i found out that yes Smokin is done for.. The 1550 Am has been sold to some one out of Phoenix Az..
That is all he knows, so Smokin is dead, finished.. it was a a good idea but it seems like Marc wants to concentrate on getting to walk again.

The End

Rob
November 1st, 2015, 05:30 PM
Here's KOA's new logo now showing their 850 AM Denver and 94.1 FM Golden/Boulder frequencies.

Rob
November 1st, 2015, 05:38 PM
KBUD 1550 AM is now off the air and KOA is on 94.1 FM Golden.

The "Smokin'" format is still streaming online at: http://www.smokin941.com/

radiodude
November 1st, 2015, 08:25 PM
Yeah, pretty strange? I would think the streaming would go down to? It can't say Smokin 94.1 anymore, that is (I think) illegal to do?
So odd? Ok? Two Fm's to hear the Broncos on? Interesting. They are going to find out that putting KOA on FM is going to sink like a rock! No one likes listening to talk radio on the FM.
101.5 proved that point really well.

Colorado Media Newsroom
November 1st, 2015, 09:05 PM
From The Denver Post:

The blowtorch of the Rockies now has an FM sister station: KOA is simulcating 850 AM on 94.1 FM.The announcement was made by Dave Logan during KOA NewsRadio’s Denver Broncos pregame show Sunday.

Initially the higher fidelity FM signal will be heard only in Denver but wider coverage is expected soon: “In the coming weeks,” a KOA press release said, “KOA NewsRadio will expand its coverage on 94.1 FM in Boulder, resulting in full market coverage of 94.1 FM in the Denver-Boulder metropolitan area.”

The top-rated station, owned by iHeartRadio, is already one of the most widely heard signals in the U.S.

Most recently the 94.1 FM signal has been devoted to a format in celebration of marijuana, “Smokin’ 94.1,” owned by Marc Paskin and featuring the syndicated “Bubba the Love Sponge.” Previously it was the home of KDCO-FM Mile High Sports. The Post reported in June that San Diego millionaire Paskin bought KDCO-AM and FM translator K231BQ on 94.1 from James Merrilot of Mile High Sports for $875,000.

More... (http://blogs.denverpost.com/ostrow/2015/11/01/koa-is-now-simulcasting-taking-over-94-1fm/23502/)

Colorado Media Newsroom
November 2nd, 2015, 01:45 AM
From Radio Online:

iHeartMedia adds an FM simulcast for News/Talk KOA-AM/Denver. All KOA NewsRadio programming will now be heard on both 850 AM and former Classic Rock FM translator K231BQ-FM at 94.1 FM, which covers the Denver area. In the coming weeks, KOA NewsRadio will expand its coverage on 94.1 FM in Boulder, resulting in full … more (http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n31991)

Colorado Media Newsroom
November 2nd, 2015, 05:45 AM
From All Access:

As previously tipped (NET NEWS 10/23), iHEARTMEDIA has launched an FM simulcast of News-Talk KOA-A/DENVER on K231BQ/GOLDEN, CO, which it is acquiring from MARCO BROADCASTING CORPORATION for … more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/147242/koa-denver-launches-fm-translator-simulcast?ref=rss)http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/allaccess/radio-news/~4/7uGaD5dPbR0

radiodude
November 2nd, 2015, 05:51 PM
So I am wondering? No FM or AM, did Iheart get permission to silence 1550 from the FCC? If not, than 1550 should still be left on the air, unless the new owner (not Iheart) got permission from the FCC to
turn off 1550?
So I wonder how long this well last online?

spikey
November 4th, 2015, 07:29 AM
In the case of all these repeaters and PPM, will the FM have a different encoder, and thusly be able to be distinguished in the ratings?
I wonder if there's a demo split between the two when you do this.. anyone know?

Rob
November 4th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Different encoders, but I think the subscriber (station) can let Nielsen know to combine the ratings so it would be under one station.

radiodude
November 7th, 2015, 07:03 PM
One question comes to my mind...

Does this effect their agreement with the NFL? Since 103.5 The Fox already simulcast the games?

Chase
November 7th, 2015, 07:17 PM
One question comes to my mind...

Does this effect their agreement with the NFL? Since 103.5 The Fox already simulcast the games?

Great question. I'm guessing probably not.

radiodude
November 7th, 2015, 11:12 PM
So I am still baffled? Marc doesn't own the actual radio station anymore? I know that 94.1 and 1530 is gone, which is also strange that 1530 has been kicked off the airwaves?
Did Iheart order that to happen? Or this "Person from Phoenix" did he or they order it to be silence? I don't remember seen in the FCC records for 1530 to be license and silence at all?
How is the morning show getting paid? Someone has to pay the bill to keep the morning show from FL going?
I don't know if anyone here can even answer those questions since there is no one there at the studio apparently? Even though it has been kept on going? I never seen anything like this?
Normally a station gets sold, the FM goes and the am goes and I would think the online streaming would go to? Since there is no way to pay for that to keep going either?

radiodude
November 10th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Will it looks like Smokin is gone for good! The streaming is not playing anything or should i say connecting to their server. So I guess whoever ran it, gaved up and turned it all off?

Colorado Media Newsroom
November 13th, 2015, 09:00 AM
From Radio Insight:

After selling 94.1 K231BQ Golden CO to iHeartMedia, Marc Paskin’s Marco Broadcasting Corporation winds down operations with the sale of 1550 KBUD Golden/Denver to Chuck Lontine’s Marconi Wireless of Colorado for $25,000. Lontine’s group is planning on launching “96.9 The Cloud” K245AD Arvada/Boulder in early 2016, which KBUD could serve as originating signal.

more (https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/95225/station-sales-week-of-1113-a-new-cloud-to-rise-over-boulder/)

Rob
November 15th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Here's the web site for "The Cloud": http://thecloud.fm/
And their Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/theclassicalcloud

Right now, 96.9 FM in Boulder is carrying "93.7 The Rock".

It will be interesting if "The Cloud" can get another FM translator to cover the Denver metro area.

Rob
December 8th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Mainstreet Media has applied with the FCC to have their K245AD 96.9 FM Arvada translator to be a translator for KBUD 1550 AM. And to also move 96.9 FM's transmitter more southwest to the KBUD tower along highway 93. It should provide better coverage to Boulder, Louisville and Broomfield. And it might actually be received in its city of license (Arvada) after the change. Here's the current and proposed coverage after the change.

radiodude
December 10th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Mainstreet Media has applied with the FCC to have their K245AD 96.9 FM Arvada translator to be a translator for KBUD 1550 AM. And to also move 96.9 FM's transmitter more southwest to the KBUD tower along highway 93. It should provide better coverage to Boulder, Louisville and Broomfield. And it might actually be received in its city of license (Arvada) after the change. Here's the current and proposed coverage after the change.

So they want to keep the 1530 AM signal and still broadcast on 96.9?!!? Why in the world would anyone want to keep an AM signal these days?

Rob
December 11th, 2015, 11:45 AM
So they want to keep the 1530 AM signal and still broadcast on 96.9?!!? Why in the world would anyone want to keep an AM signal these days?

They are required to have the KBUD 1550 AM signal to "feed" the FM translator, per FCC rules. And the AM signal gives better coverage than the FM translator.

radiodude
December 11th, 2015, 06:20 PM
They are required to have the KBUD 1550 AM signal to "feed" the FM translator, per FCC rules. And the AM signal gives better coverage than the FM translator.

Well your right Rob, that is how it works. So basically, this "Cloud" Radio is going to be actually on AM, not FM. True that during the day time people can hear the 1550 Am signal alot better.
Expect at night when it has to power down.
I hope they have better luck in this radio business.

radiodude
January 26th, 2016, 01:54 AM
To bring this topic back.. I just noticed something here?
KBUD is alive and well, will in Loveland at least! It appears good ol vic picked up the call letters and put it on 1570 AM (Part of KRKY's Network apparently).
So I am not sure what this "Cloud" station is going to do now that Vic got the KBUD call letters! Funny, it went from being a pot station to being put on 1570 as KRKYS signal.

Rob
January 26th, 2016, 07:30 PM
KBUD and KKCL swapped call letters a couple of weeks ago... KKCL fits "The Cloud" better.

Interesting that 1570 AM is on the air. I can't pick them up at all in the Westminster/Broomfield/Boulder areas at all. I used to be able to pick up 1570's signal pretty strong back when the Catholic Radio Network owned it.

Are they just simulcasting KRKY 88.7 FM Douglas, WY?

radiodude
January 27th, 2016, 12:44 AM
KBUD and KKCL swapped call letters a couple of weeks ago... KKCL fits "The Cloud" better.

Interesting that 1570 AM is on the air. I can't pick them up at all in the Westminster/Broomfield/Boulder areas at all. I used to be able to pick up 1570's signal pretty strong back when the Catholic Radio Network owned it.

Yeah that is what they are doing, actually. It's all part of their network of KRKY. KBUD haaa. What Vic would do to turn on 1570 and name it. So KKCL fits with the station called "The Cloud?"

jtr115
January 27th, 2016, 11:11 PM

AM 1570 is temporarily broadcasting with just 90 watts during the day. According to the RadioTVDeals ad, the station has "Lost tower site, but currently in the process of rebuilding at a new tower site." The STA shows the antenna on Milner Mountain southwest of Fort Collins.

Rob
January 28th, 2016, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info jtr115!

It seems they had to get the station (KBUD 1570 AM - aka the old KKCL) back on the air before a year of it being off the air passed and they lost the license. Thus, the temporary antenna and wattage.

1570 AM's old tower owner did not want the station's transmitter back there, so Vic is going to apply for a new permanent antenna at the new site.
They are using a 100 ft. longwire and antenna tuner until they can get their engineering docs submitted for a more permanent solution.

Here's the temp system according to the FCC docs: