PDA

View Full Version : KIIQ 93.7 FM Limon Applies To Move Closer To Denver

Rob
April 11th, 2015, 04:47 AM
Kona Coast Radio, LLC, has applied with the FCC to move newly acquired KIIQ 93.7 FM from Limon to Deer Trail (55 miles east of Denver) and also raise its transmitter power to 25.5 KW.

Could this be the first move for it to eventually cover Denver?

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_list.pl?Facility_id=85056

radiodude
April 11th, 2015, 11:13 AM
There is a major problem with that move.. KCKK is on 93.7, so he can't have his station on the same frequency at all! Doesn't VIC know this?? I was told that the market is closed in Denver for any new stations to move into Denver.

radiodude
April 11th, 2015, 11:46 AM
You got some miss information there ROb:

This is what VIC just told me in response:
Not moving KIIQ into Denver. Just upgrading KIIQ to a class C2 to a tower site I own NW of Limon.

Rob
April 12th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I didn't say it was moving into Denver right now. I was just pondering that it's possible to inch stations closer to a market and then eventually move there over a few years.

There are always ways to get more FM stations into Denver and it won't end with what we have now... there will be more translators, LPFM's and such for sure.

Yes, KCKK has a translator on 93.7 FM but a full power station if approved for the market will trump that fact.

jtr115
April 13th, 2015, 12:39 AM
The coverage maps for KIIQ and the KCKK repeater show there's only some overlap in the "fringe" area (40-50 dBu) for both stations. I don't know how much that would affect reception of the repeater in Denver. As Rob said, though, full-power stations have priority over translators in cases like this.

A RadioTVDeals ad for KIIQ says the station is trying to upgrade to a Class C1 soon.

Rob
April 13th, 2015, 06:42 PM
A C1 would probably cause a problem for KCKK's FM translator. But there are a few frequencies it could move to.
I do see KIIQ moving closer enough to Denver to cover at least Aurora within the next few years if someone really wants to do it and has the cash.