PDA

View Full Version : Classic hits/Oldies KXKL 105.1 FM - first Denver station to go all Christmas music this year. UPDATE: Soft AC KOSI 101.1 FM switches to Christmas tunes a few hours later.

Rob
November 9th, 2012, 06:18 PM
In the rush to the format that seems to get the best ratings of the year, Wilks-owned Classic Hits/Oldies KXKL 105.1 FM beat Soft AC KOSI 101.1 FM today to become the first station in Denver this year to go all Christmas music. Their website (http://www.kool105.com/) is already looking very festive... saying "Denver's KOOL New Christmas Station". Expect KOSI to do it as well very soon.

Dr Jam
November 9th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I wonder if KOSI was planning to change this early or that they didn't want KOOL to get a head start. It usually seems like KOSI, in years past, has changed to all Christmas the week before Thanksgiving.

Rob
November 9th, 2012, 11:06 PM
KOSI 101.1 FM switched to Christmas music tonight... probably to not let KXKL get too much of a jump on them...
I think it's a big mistake for KXKL to change format since they are getting great ratings. The change could alienate listeners who don't want Christmas music. We'll see if this change pays off for them. I think it's a big mistake. We'll see what the ratings say in a couple of months...

Dr Jam
November 22nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
KOSI 101.1 FM switched to Christmas music tonight... probably to not let KXKL get too much of a jump on them...
I think it's a big mistake for KXKL to change format since they are getting great ratings. The change could alienate listeners who don't want Christmas music. We'll see if this change pays off for them. I think it's a big mistake. We'll see what the ratings say in a couple of months...

Rob, you were right on when you posted this. KOOL 105 never recovered from their switch last year.

radiodude
November 22nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
So the battle begins! Great! The war on who gets the best ratings on playing Christmas music! Glad we just have TRI up here playing Christmas music! I feel sorry for the people in
Denver, now they have to suffer from KOSI to KOOL, again. Great!

Dr Jam
November 22nd, 2013, 01:34 PM
This is actually a post from last year (sorry for the confusion). I was just commenting on the fact that last year, KOOL went to an all-christmas format. Rob questioned the wisdom of that decision. Looking back, it was a very bad decision for KOOL. In one month they went from a 4.9 (Nov12) to a 2.0 in December. Everyone knows that KOSI switches to Christmas music this time of year. It's a sure bet for them. Any other station that thinks they can grab some of their listeners by switching should look at KOOL as an example of the disaster that might be awaiting them.

Rob
November 22nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
Rob, you were right on when you posted this. KOOL 105 never recovered from their switch last year.

Yeah, pretty big mistake that I bet they are still regretting bigtime...

radiodude
November 23rd, 2013, 06:57 PM
Some stations can pull it off while others can't. It seems like KOOL couldn't pull it off! At least they don't give up to easily either. It seems like they already tossed in the towel.
I am listening right now at 6:56 pm on 12/23 and they are back to their regular format. So they must have re-thinked the christmas format.

Rob
November 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Some stations can pull it off while others can't. It seems like KOOL couldn't pull it off! At least they don't give up to easily either. It seems like they already tossed in the towel.
I am listening right now at 6:56 pm on 12/23 and they are back to their regular format. So they must have re-thinked the christmas format.

I think you are missing the dates on this thread... this was a thread from a year ago. KXKL didn't switch their format this year (2013) after they lost so much audience last year (2012) doing it. Plus, this isn't 12/23, it's 11/23. ;-)