PDA

View Full Version : KCOL AM Fort Collins' Morning Personality Al Malmberg Heading to WCCO Minneapolis For Late-Nights

Colorado Media Newsroom
November 25th, 2013, 03:28 PM
From All Access:

CBS RADIO News-Talk WCCO-A/MINNEAPOLIS brings back AL MALMBERG to do weekdays 11p-2a, starting DEC. 16th. MALMBERG previously worked at WCCO in various roles from 1996 - 2008, and is best-known for his overnight show, which he hosted for over 19 years.
“We are thrilled for AL’s return to late nights on WCCO. He is one of our most popular hosts with a huge and loyal following.” WCCO PD BOB SHOMPER said.

“I am so glad to be back on WCCO.” said MALMBERG. “I’ve really missed talking to all of my friends across the upper MIDWEST on the big '50,000-watt blowtorch'."

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/124657/wcco-a-brings-back-al-malmberg-for-late-nights?ref=rss)

Rob
November 27th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Al was the first boss in radio to fire me...

My first paying radio job was in 1984-85 at KKFM FM Colorado Springs, back when it was on 96.5 FM (before it was moved to 98.1 FM due to KXPK Denver going on the air). It was a Top 40/CHR (called 96 Rock) and did decent in the ratings. I worked there at night since I was still in high school, so never met Al who worked days there as the MD... until my last day there...

On Al's first day there as PD (in February or March '85 I think), he called me in and let me go... he was pretty rude about it and didn't give a reason... he then changed KKFM's format to "Real Radio", an AC/Lite-Rock hybrid. "Real Radio" on KKFM didn't last too long and it let KIKX 102.7 FM get the CHR audience in the Springs for the next almost 10 years.

KKFM then adopted a Classic Rock format (I'm assuming after Al was gone), that it still has today.

Hopefully, Al has gotten nicer and more professional than what I experienced back then. LOL