PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs 98.5 translator now "en ingles"

iowegian3
November 27th, 2013, 12:20 AM
The 98.5 translator which had been relaying spanish 1490 KXRE in Manitou Springs for a number of years is now relaying 1040 KCME Monument.

At one time Vic Michael's Mountain Community Translators had a deal to trade its 98.5 for 1480 KAVA Pueblo, co-owned with KXRE by Latino Communications of Denver. That deal apparently never consummated.

In Pueblo, 1480 KAVA is now dark. Until recently it had been running a talk format under the I-25 Talk Radio banner operated by United States CP, which owns KCBR.

Evidently there must have been an ongoing operating agreement to trade the signals out, even though 98.5 and 1480 had never officially changed hands. That arrangement apparently has ended.

And for what it's worth, there is a pirate on 101.9 near Citadel Mall that's audible to about a mile away, relaying a streaming feed from progressive talk WCPT AM-FM Chicago. It has a pirate neighbor next door on 102.1, which runs old time radio and can be heard around the north side of the Springs, especially around Chapel Hills Mall.Springs

iowegian3
November 28th, 2013, 10:09 AM
An update: KAVA is no longer dark. It has returned to Spanish programming as of this week. (And a correction, it should be KCBR, not KCME, on 1040. At least the Iowegian in me didn't type WHO.)

jtr115
November 30th, 2013, 03:34 PM
And for what it's worth, there is a pirate on 101.9 near Citadel Mall that's audible to about a mile away, relaying a streaming feed from progressive talk WCPT AM-FM Chicago. It has a pirate neighbor next door on 102.1, which runs old time radio and can be heard around the north side of the Springs, especially around Chapel Hills Mall.

I have heard the 102.1 signal while driving around the city, usually along Constitution Av. or Austin Bluffs Pkwy.

jtr115
November 30th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I hadn't heard about the 101.9 pirate, but I'll listen for it on the way home since I drive by The Citadel then.

jtr115
November 30th, 2013, 09:33 PM
The pirate must only broadcast on weekdays or during the daytime. I heard nothing on 101.9 when driving near The Citadel, other than slight bleed-over from KXCL 101.7.