PDA

View Full Version : EMF Acquires KYEN 103.9 FM Fort Collins. UPDATE: Now KRKA & Has Adopted "Air1" Christian Music Format

Colorado Media Newsroom
August 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM
From Radio Online:

Educational Media Foundation has agreed to acquire 16.5kw Rock KYEN-FM/Severance, CO (serving Fort Collins-Greeley) from Cochise Broadcasting for $1.32 million plus consideration. Cochise Broadcasting, is a Wyoming-based company, headed by Ted Tucker. EMF is a not-for profit organization that operates Christian K-Love and AIR1 radio networks. It's based in Rocklin, CA, and is headed by President/CEO Mike Novak. Kalil & Co. is the exclusive broker for the transaction.

more (http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=b13666)

Colorado Media Newsroom
August 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM
From Radio Insight:

Educational Media Foundation continues its rapid expansion with acquisition of 103.9 KYEN Severance, CO.

The $1.325 Million purchase of the Classic Rock station from Cochise Media Licenses will give EMF a signal in the I-25 corridor gap between 91.1 KLDV Morrison/Denver and 90.9 KLWV Chugwater/Cheyenne, WY should it be used for its Christian AC “K-Love” format.

more (http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/84473/emf-acquires-kyen-fort-collins/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=emf-acquires-kyen-fort-collins)

SirKit
August 2nd, 2013, 12:37 PM
That really, really sucks! It is definitely the worst news I've heard today.

I am a music fan, as well as a radio person. I have really enjoyed listening to KYEN. They have such an extensive playlist, and play song after song by artists the local mostly '80s-based classic rock stations have either forgotten, ignored or never knew existed, so many great groups and solo artists from the mid-1960s through the 1970s and into the 1980s. I'm listening to it online, now, since I read the news today, oh boy, but mostly I listen in the car, when I get sick of listening to the same sucky artists and the same classic rock hits in rotation, day after day, week after week on the so-called classic rock stations. And the sound of those stations is over-processed too.

KYEN plays great album cuts and old Top 40 hits that fit the format. I just heard Cream, Nick Lowe, Dave Mason, John Parr, The Beatles, Mott The Hoople and The Animals. Every song they play is a surprise. My reaction to what I hear on the commercial classic rock stations is "what, again?" It's all so predictable! KYEN, on the other hand, is all over the map; it's great.

KYEN doesn't have on-air hosts; hence, no insipid blabber. I actually wish they did bother to hire and pay some on-air hosts with a one-to-one approach, good pipes with knowledge and real interest in the music, something that is sorely missing in most of what I'm hearing on the other classic rock stations. Sometimes I think I'm listening to a circus of classics, what with so much programming segmentation. It's interesting that you will hear requests from listeners that are often quite different from what they get fed daily from the playlists. Quite a few listeners haven't forgotten a lot of great artists, it seems. I would like to know how many requests are rejected because the stations either don't have it or won't play it. Don't request "In The Court Of The Crimson King," by King Crimson. It won't get played. Don't request "Space Hymn" by Lothar And The Hand People, or old Steve Miller Band, like "Journey To Eden," or "Back Street Girl" by Rolling Stones (too quiet). Maybe someday you'll hear "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" by Paul McCartney on one of the commercial classic rockers, but, all in all, it's too long and too melodic. Try "Junior's Farm" instead.

Or, tune in to KYEN. Right now, they're playing "Dixie Rock" from Wet Willie. You won't hear much southern rock these days on the commercial classic rockers. Oh, they've kept one or two Marshall Tucker Band tracks for occasional airplay. Even most of The Allman Brothers Band catalog has fallen out of favor and by the wayside there.

KYEN is now on to "Teacher" by Jethro Tull; they've also played Blondie, Aldo Nova and the Doobie Brothers' "Eyes of Silver" (try requesting that one on a commercial classic rocker!). Oh, ofand now KYEN is playing Bowie's "Space Oddity." Most of the time, all the Bowie you'll get elsewhere is "Let's Dance" or "Under Pressure." I haven't heard that one, or anything from the "Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars" album, or even "Changes" from Hunky Dory, in eons. The rockin' "Reunited" by Greg Kihn? It rocks hard, but you still won't hear it on the tight playlists of the commercial classic rockers. Only on KYEN.

KYEN has been a radio station that truly does play the deep cuts, which isn't much done by any other station in town. The playlist has plenty of good rockin' songs, and also plays long cuts, mellower cuts, single artists and bands that pound it out. And the sound of the station isn't over-processed, where all the audio is at peak volume, even in the quietest moments, as it is on the other stations.

Thanks for remembering the rock that the classic rock stations won't touch. You've shown there's an abundance of rock music that should still be heard. It's been a great ride, KYEN. I'll miss you.

radiodude
August 3rd, 2013, 02:53 AM
Damn that TED! He is just one RICH MONEY Hungry uncaring person! He doesn't give a damn that people liked KYEN of course not? Now we got K-love at 91.1 and on 101.7 and now on 103.9!?!? AUGGH! Why coudn't EMF leave things alone? I also liked KYEN, even though it was run by a computer, ontop of the mountain (west of Fort Collins), it was a great station. Ted shown that a commerical license station didn't need to have commericals at all. This sucks it rreally does.;

Rob
August 4th, 2013, 05:19 AM
I wouldn't call him a rich, money hungry uncaring person at all... just the opposite.

He gave A LOT by keeping the station going for years without any commercials. It has probably cost him tens of thousands of dollars a month out of his pocket. KYEN was a very rare station and I'm sure you will never hear of another station running for so long without any income (commercials, donations, etc.).

$1,325,000 and it could have been yours... very cheap compared what you'd pay 10 years ago for a station.

DavieGravy
August 4th, 2013, 09:36 AM
That's horrible news as the last great station in the Denver area is now going to go to some Christian rock format. Fyi, they had a studio in Loveland that sent the audio feed to the transmitter site via microwave. This info was obtainable on the FCC website. I can understand why he sold it and could never understand why it ran commercial free for so long. Looks like the radio is becoming more and more irrelevant each day.

DavieGravy
August 4th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Damn that TED! He is just one RICH MONEY Hungry uncaring person! He doesn't give a damn that people liked KYEN of course not? Now we got K-love at 91.1 and on 101.7 and now on 103.9!?!? AUGGH! Why coudn't EMF leave things alone? I also liked KYEN, even though it was run by a computer, ontop of the mountain (west of Fort Collins), it was a great station. Ted shown that a commerical license station didn't need to have commericals at all. This sucks it rreally does.;

I believe Ted was quoted in some article saying that stations like this cost an upward of 200k a year to run. That's a lot to ask of someone to keep going with no source of revenue and no advertising.

It is a shame that it was sold to EMF. It seems like the radio is going christian, community, Spanish or sports these days.

radiodude
August 5th, 2013, 09:10 PM
SO Ted setup a place in Loveland to broadcast the music to the Transmitter ontop of Buckhorn mountain? I thought the computer and transmitter was all there on buckhorn mountain?
FYI, I just got the email back from Sarah Outman who is the Correspondence Assistant for Klove and this is what she told me:

"Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings with us. We understand how hard it is to lose your favorite radio station. Unfortunately, KYEN is up for sale because Ted is selling it. Our goal is not to broadcast K-LOVE on 103.9 but a different format - hopefully the style is one you will enjoy."

So it proably well be a music format of some sort that well please everyone? I am hoping she well tell me what it is and when the last song well be played on KYEN?

Rob
August 5th, 2013, 09:18 PM
If it isn't going to adopt the "K-love" format, then it will be Air1. Most likely it will be Air1.
http://www.air1.com/

Right now the only Colorado stations with the Air1 format according to their website are:
Eagle 90.9 FM
Grand Junction - KAAI 98.5 FM
Steamboat Springs - KHCO 90.1 FM
Sterling - KDRE 90.7 FM
Vail 88.1 FM

And there's also one in Cheyenne:
KAIX 88.1 FM

radiodude
August 6th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Will you were right on Rob, it is going to be AIR 1, and it is going to launch sometime in November (if everything goes well with the FCC).

DavieGravy
August 6th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Here's the info on the transmitter link:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp;JSESSIONID_APPSEARCH=L1YLTBzb2YJp7m7XZ M22JVCyYY45FQdTnzcbJlhNG3hyfG61zJSh!-383152034!-1325714141?licKey=3165858

Air1 makes sense since 93.9 up north and whatever the other frequency is her in Denver are already polluting the airwaves with k-love.

Rob
August 6th, 2013, 06:53 PM
From All Access June 2009:
"TED and JANA TUCKER's COCHISE MEDIA LICENSES is buying KPAU/CENTER, CO and KYEN/SEVERANCE, CO from COLLEGE CREEK MEDIA for $805,000 ($780,000 for KYEN, $25,000 for KPAU)."

So they almost doubled their money, minus expenses for the last 4 years of running commercial-free. My estimate is it cost $10,000-15,000 a month to keep it going... so they made a little on the sale.

I'm told they buy these stations to resale but aren't in a hurry to sell unless the offer is right. They try to keep costs down and wait.

Ghost of Timber Dick
August 15th, 2013, 07:42 PM
The Tuckers aren't greedy or uncaring. They're very nice folks. They're business people...and pretty good ones. They've been doing this for years and have done rather well.

Ted is a former pharmacist (legal kind) and a fan of various types of music. He enjoys broadcasting the tunes that nobody else plays anymore. His personal collection is huge, and he loves the music he puts on his stations.

radiodude
August 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM
The Tuckers aren't greedy or uncaring. They're very nice folks. They're business people...and pretty good ones. They've been doing this for years and have done rather well.

Ted is a former pharmacist (legal kind) and a fan of various types of music. He enjoys broadcasting the tunes that nobody else plays anymore. His personal collection is huge, and he loves the music he puts on his stations.

I am just upset that he did this? I thought he was going to keep KYEN going forever, he brought a good station to Northern Colorado and filled in a gap that wasn't there before? And now this?
I know he might not be greedy or uncaring, but it just seems like all he cared about is making a profit and not caring that other people started to like and listen to KYEN and his music. Now that is going to be gone forever. KYEN was the only station that truly played every single classic rock songs out there! And it proved that a commercial station can run without commercials. *sigh*.
Now we are going to have AIR 1 before thanksgiving. :( I truly enjoyed KYEN, even listening to it on line.

Dr Jam
August 16th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I too am sad to see KYEN leave the airwaves. It's been a breath of fresh air from what every other radio station offers. But I also understand the economics of the whole thing. Best case scenario would be if the deal fell through and they hired a sales team to make it profitable. But, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I do have a question though. Sounds like this is going to be a non-commercial station once it changes to Air1. I thought all non-commercial stations were at the lower end of the FM dial, with the commercial stations starting at 92.1. Is this not the case anymore?

Rob
August 16th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I got some additional information on this sale...

The parties to the deal agree that KYEN's value is higher than the $1.325M price tag. So the station will be appraised and any value in excess of $1.325M will be treated as a charitable contribution that Ted Tucker’s Cochise Broadcasting can use for a tax write-off.

Cochise is NOT contributing any of the intellectual property to the sale. Cochise is retaining the right to use the KYEN calls, slogans “Rocks the Rockies,” “We Rock the Rockies,” and “Rock the Rockies” as well as website rocktherockies.com (http://rocktherockies.com).

radiodude
August 16th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I got some additional information on this sale...

The parties to the deal agree that KYEN's value is higher than the $1.325M price tag. So the station will be appraised and any value in excess of $1.325M will be treated as a charitable contribution that Ted Tucker’s Cochise Broadcasting can use for a tax write-off.

Cochise is NOT contributing any of the intellectual property to the sale. Cochise is retaining the right to use the KYEN calls, slogans “Rocks the Rockies,” “We Rock the Rockies,” and “Rock the Rockies” as well as website rocktherockies.com (http://rocktherockies.com).

That is a lot of money just for a transmitter and a computer system? More like a Transmitter that is flakey by going off the air a lot of times. I woudn't think KYEN would be worth that much money at all? I mean I can understand if it was an actual radio station, but it's not. It's just a transmitter linked into a computer system.

Rob
August 19th, 2013, 08:15 AM
That is a lot of money just for a transmitter and a computer system? More like a Transmitter that is flakey by going off the air a lot of times. I woudn't think KYEN would be worth that much money at all? I mean I can understand if it was an actual radio station, but it's not. It's just a transmitter linked into a computer system.

It's a real station and worth more than EMF is paying for it. The license has a good amount of people in its coverage area. That's its value. It will be interesting to see if it comes out how much it is appraised for before the sale. It will probably be closer to $1.75 - $2 million range.

As for the transmitter, I'm sure EMF will have an engineer fix/replace whatever needs to be.

Remember how Cochise operates... they kept KYEN going just enough to broadcast most of the time to show what it can do to potential buyers. They didn't dump any more money than they had to since the plan all the long was to turn around and sell it.

EMF can easily plug in either a satellite delivery system at the transmitter or have a microwave link to their Denver facilities to link it to the Air1 feed. A station can't be valued on having a studio or not because that really isn't required anymore with today's technology. A lot of stations are now in a closet with just a computer and a mixing board/mic for a DJ to voicetrack breaks.

But as DavieGravy pointed out a few posts back in this thread, KYEN did/does have a studio facility in Loveland.

radiodude
August 20th, 2013, 04:10 AM
It's a real station and worth more than EMF is paying for it. The license has a good amount of people in its coverage area. That's its value. It will be interesting to see if it comes out how much it is appraised for before the sale. It will probably be closer to $1.75 - $2 million range.

As for the transmitter, I'm sure EMF will have an engineer fix/replace whatever needs to be.

Remember how Cochise operates... they kept KYEN going just enough to broadcast most of the time to show what it can do to potential buyers. They didn't dump any more money than they had to since the plan all the long was to turn around and sell it.

EMF can easily plug in either a satellite delivery system at the transmitter or have a microwave link to their Denver facilities to link it to the Air1 feed. A station can't be valued on having a studio or not because that really isn't required anymore with today's technology. A lot of stations are now in a closet with just a computer and a mixing board/mic for a DJ to voicetrack breaks.

But as DavieGravy pointed out a few posts back in this thread, KYEN did/does have a studio facility in Loveland.

There isn't a Denver facilities that carries AIR 1? Denver doesn't even have an Air 1 station. Where in Loveland is this supposedly studio that carries KYEN's music then?
And where in the FCC pages does one find such info? As i recall I asked him about on Day one and he told me that it was just a computer tired into the transmitter on (name excaspes me right now) that mountain

Rob
August 20th, 2013, 07:30 PM
There isn't a Denver facilities that carries AIR 1? Denver doesn't even have an Air 1 station. Where in Loveland is this supposedly studio that carries KYEN's music then?
And where in the FCC pages does one find such info? As i recall I asked him about on Day one and he told me that it was just a computer tired into the transmitter on (name excaspes me right now) that mountain

Just follow DavieGravy's link that he posted above for the addy of KYEN's licensed facility in Loveland.

EMF owns both "K-Love" and "Air1", so they could easily microwave the "Air1" feed, from their current facilities in Denver, to KYEN's transmitter.

Are you not aware how stations usually get their programming to their transmitters? We could go into it in deeper details if you are still confused.

jasonf
September 10th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Here's the info on the transmitter link:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp;JSESSIONID_APPSEARCH=L1YLTBzb2YJp7m7XZ M22JVCyYY45FQdTnzcbJlhNG3hyfG61zJSh!-383152034!-1325714141?licKey=3165858

Air1 makes sense since 93.9 up north and whatever the other frequency is her in Denver are already polluting the airwaves with k-love.

I have enjoyed 103.9 as well, but it appears I am alone here in wanting Air1 to come to NColorado. I actually like AIR1 and stream it a few times a week to hear something different. You'd be surprised what they play in the evenings during Mixology, it is pretty good. It is a Christian format, but they will play a lot of those bands that straddle both sides of the fence, Skillet, Lifehouse, Fray, Switchfoot, Red and RelientK come to mind.

Sounds like Ted will have another station up as well, so it could be a win/win for everyone involved as I will miss 103.9 too.

radiodude
October 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Well I am not sure if it is happening right now, but KYEN has been off the air both on line and over the air waves for 2 days. So I am not sure if AIR 1 has taken over 103.9 or what right now?

Rob
October 8th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Right now the FCC is in a holding pattern due to the government shutdown. So no changes yet. But since it's pretty much sold (just waiting for FCC approval), Cochise probably shut it down to save money. I wonder when and where Cochise will bring the format back since they wanted to keep the calls, the slogans and web site.

radiodude
October 8th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Right now the FCC is in a holding pattern due to the government shutdown. So no changes yet. But since it's pretty much sold (just waiting for FCC approval), Cochise probably shut it down to save money. I wonder when and where Cochise will bring the format back since they wanted to keep the calls, the slogans and web site.

Just got the conformation...

KYEN IS NO MORE! EMF owns 103.9 lock stock and all! Once their engineers goes over the equipment they are hoping to have AIR1 on the air in November.
It is interesting to note, KYEN went on the air on October 30th, and it got sold in October! I think that is interesting

Chase
October 8th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Just got the conformation...

KYEN IS NO MORE! EMF owns 103.9 lock stock and all! Once their engineers goes over the equipment they are hoping to have AIR1 on the air in November.
It is interesting to note, KYEN went on the air on October 30th, and it got sold in October! I think that is interesting

I had forgotten about it going on the air on October 30th and you're right it's very interesting that it got sold in October.

radiodude
October 8th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Now here is the strange thing... I am at werocktherockies.com and I saw the playlist and it seems like the music is back online? Strange? I wonder if EMF is just doing this for
the time being? If it, then it makes no sense?

Rob
October 8th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Now here is the strange thing... I am at werocktherockies.com and I saw the playlist and it seems like the music is back online? Strange? I wonder if EMF is just doing this for
the time being? If it, then it makes no sense?

EMF does not own or operate the old KYEN website, as I mentioned earlier.... it's Cochise's to run even after 103.9 is being run by EMF...

Colorado Media Newsroom
October 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM
From Radio Online:

Educational Media Foundation has closed on its previously announced acquisition of 16.5kw Rock KYEN-FM/Severance, CO (serving Fort Collins-Greeley) from Cochise Broadcasting for $1.32 million plus consideration. Cochise Broadcasting, is a Wyoming-based company, headed by Ted Tucker. EMF is a not-for profit organization that operates Christian K-Love and AIR1 radio networks. It's based in Rocklin, CA, and is headed by President/CEO Mike Novak. Kalil & Co. was the exclusive broker for the transaction.

more (http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=b13737)

Colorado Media Newsroom
October 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM
From All Access:

Just because the FCC is closed due to the government shutdown doesn't mean deals aren't being consummated, even if the paperwork can't be processed at the moment. And so, while the FCC database is closed for the interim, TED TUCKER's COCHISE BROADCASTING, LLC has closed on the sale of Classic Rock KYEN/SEVERANCE-FORT COLLINS-GREELEY, CO to EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION for $1.325 million.
KALIL AND CO. served as exclusive broker for the deal.

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/123137/emf-closes-on-kyen-purchase?ref=rss)

Rob
October 9th, 2013, 05:35 PM
It appears that Cochise is keeping the old KYEN website and stream going. I noticed that at least on my computer, only the popup flash player stream works though.
http://rocktherockies.com/

Dr Jam
October 10th, 2013, 10:49 AM
So, as far as musical styles, what is the difference between K-Love and Air1?

radiodude
October 11th, 2013, 06:22 PM

KLOVE is more on the adult Christian like rock style
AIR1 is more on the ROCK side of Chrstain music. Listen to them both and you well hear the difference.

radiodude
October 12th, 2013, 08:36 AM
You know? I think this was a good move on Ted's part. Sell off the transmitter and the frequency and let EMF have those two things, and in turn he keeps where ever he houses the music and the computers and te streaming.
Even though now, the call signs have no meaning what so ever at least he got to keep all that . So I think this was a fair and well put together deal. I am glad he decided to keep the music playing online. Now to let everyone else know that KYEN is still alive online.

SirKit
October 12th, 2013, 08:01 PM
You know? I think this was a good move on Ted's part. Sell off the transmitter and the frequency and let EMF have those two things, and in turn he keeps where ever he houses the music and the computers and te streaming.
Even though now, the call signs have no meaning what so ever at least he got to keep all that . So I think this was a fair and well put together deal. I am glad he decided to keep the music playing online. Now to let everyone else know that KYEN is still alive online.

Thanks, radiodude! I was unaware that KYEN will continue streaming online. Yay!
I'll be relocated to the South Jersey Shore at the end of this month anyway, so this suits me fine!

SirKit
October 12th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Ahh! Streaming online is terrific. However, I did not realize that they want to store my credit card information, even though they say they only want it for verification purposes. I am not yet ready to turn over that information in order to stream KYEN. They've been streaming all along, and haven't required this information. So why would they all of a sudden need it?

Rob
October 13th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Ahh! Streaming online is terrific. However, I did not realize that they want to store my credit card information, even though they say they only want it for verification purposes. I am not yet ready to turn over that information in order to stream KYEN. They've been streaming all along, and haven't required this information. So why would they all of a sudden need it?

Yikes! I hope you didn't provide any personal info! You should scan your computer with MalwareBytes (http://www.MalwareBytes.com). It sounds like you have some malware on your computer trying to get your credit card info. When I go to KYEN's web site and stream, it doesn't ask me for any information.

radiodude
October 13th, 2013, 06:49 AM

What are you talking about? Ted never asked for payment? There is no place on that site that require any kind of payment what so ever, even for streaming? SO where are you seening that? I just went there and clicked on the Java one and it came up fine.

SirKit
October 14th, 2013, 12:23 PM
What are you talking about? Ted never asked for payment? There is no place on that site that require any kind of payment what so ever, even for streaming? SO where are you seening that? I just went there and clicked on the Java one and it came up fine.

I just went to the KYEN website today and tried it again, and it worked perfectly - no problems, no credit card info required. It's just as free as it's always been. I'm glad!

No, luckily, I did not fill out any personal information or put down my credit card number. No way was I going to do that. I believe what happened before was that - well, perhaps clicking to Listen Live either brought up the same page, or just didn't work, but - over on the right hand side, where there's a strip of a few banner ads - that's where there was, in place of the ads, it said Listen Online, and had a down arrow (like a download) to click on, and it had a similar one where the second ad would be. So since I got nothing by clicking the link, I went over to that (not recognizing it as ad space) and clicked on it. This brought up - I'm not sure if I remember the name correctly - "MediaPlayer" - something like that - and it said this is a way to have access to KYEN and thousands of other stations, but that credit card information would only be used to verify the country in which you live, since certain countries have laws about streaming music, and this would prevent the stream from being accessed in these countries. Well, as I said in my initial post, I thought (even if true) that this was total BS, since I had never been asked for such information before, and see no reason to give that information now. Besides, I'm supposed to "trust" an unknown site with my number? No! iI believe that I did see that it was a secure site - https. Well, I occasionally do buy things online. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and hope for the best, as I haven't, to my knowledge, had any problems with that information.

Thanks, radiodude, for alerting me to this. I'm happy that I am now streaming KYEN with no problem, just as before.

DavieGravy
October 15th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I just went to the KYEN website today and tried it again, and it worked perfectly - no problems, no credit card info required. It's just as free as it's always been. I'm glad!

No, luckily, I did not fill out any personal information or put down my credit card number. No way was I going to do that. I believe what happened before was that - well, perhaps clicking to Listen Live either brought up the same page, or just didn't work, but - over on the right hand side, where there's a strip of a few banner ads - that's where there was, in place of the ads, it said Listen Online, and had a down arrow (like a download) to click on, and it had a similar one where the second ad would be. So since I got nothing by clicking the link, I went over to that (not recognizing it as ad space) and clicked on it. This brought up - I'm not sure if I remember the name correctly - "MediaPlayer" - something like that - and it said this is a way to have access to KYEN and thousands of other stations, but that credit card information would only be used to verify the country in which you live, since certain countries have laws about streaming music, and this would prevent the stream from being accessed in these countries. Well, as I said in my initial post, I thought (even if true) that this was total BS, since I had never been asked for such information before, and see no reason to give that information now. Besides, I'm supposed to "trust" an unknown site with my number? No! iI believe that I did see that it was a secure site - https. Well, I occasionally do buy things online. I guess I'll have to cross my fingers and hope for the best, as I haven't, to my knowledge, had any problems with that information.

Thanks, radiodude, for alerting me to this. I'm happy that I am now streaming KYEN with no problem, just as before.

You should add a hosts file to block banner ads, malware and various other annoyances. This can be put on any operating system or rooted/jailbroken smart phone or tabliet. In windows, C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc. Replace the file in there called HOSTS with this:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

This also blocks audio ads in pandora and youtube; not to mention various other websites.

SirKit
October 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
You should add a hosts file to block banner ads, malware and various other annoyances. This can be put on any operating system or rooted/jailbroken smart phone or tabliet. In windows, C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc. Replace the file in there called HOSTS with this:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

This also blocks audio ads in pandora and youtube; not to mention various other websites.

Thanks, DavieGravy, I'm definitely going to do this!

I definitely have a bug in my computer. I discovered that I have no anti-viral software running. I will take care of both of these issues this week.

SirKit
October 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Re: DavieGravy HOSTS file

After reading all that information about mvps once I accessed your link, I found their link (by the credit card info for donations) to the download. It says to right-click for Save Target As or whatever, but I never got that. I did the download, and when I opened the file, it shows four files, the center one being mvps. The others are About info, licensing, all that supplementary info. Still, I get the option to run it, or first extract all the files. So do I just run it, or is an extract needed, as the window implies it may be? If you extract, then you have to Browse where you want it extracted TO. Anyway, it's a little confusing (since i don't even get the Target option, which makes me think I haven't done something right prior the point I've gotten to.)

If you can translate their instructions into a simpler number of steps for me (and for anyone else who might want to try this), I would appreciate it. Till then, I think I need to let it be.

jasonf
October 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM

Air1 is more Alternative, Active Rock and even some Rap etc... Fray, Skillet, Red, Switchfoot, We As Human, Lifehouse and Daughtry are some you may recognize.

DavieGravy
October 27th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Air1 is more Alternative, Active Rock and even some Rap etc... Fray, Skillet, Red, Switchfoot, We As Human, Lifehouse and Daughtry are some you may recognize.

Is air 1 a Christian format?

jasonf
October 28th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Is air 1 a Christian format?

Yes.

SirKit
October 28th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I got those fake download buttons again when I went to KYEN where the banner ads should be. They say I can download the full product on the main page, and one of three buttons near the bottom of the page says I can download the full album. I just let the KYEN page without going any further. Incidentally, I have just gotten my computer disinfected of bugs and now have anti-viral software running. I want to stay "bug-free." I am surprised those fake download buttons appeared again, though.

DavieGravy
October 28th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I got those fake download buttons again when I went to KYEN where the banner ads should be. They say I can download the full product on the main page, and one of three buttons near the bottom of the page says I can download the full album. I just let the KYEN page without going any further. Incidentally, I have just gotten my computer disinfected of bugs and now have anti-viral software running. I want to stay "bug-free." I am surprised those fake download buttons appeared again, though.

Looks like you still have a bunch of malware on your system. I'd try a system restore as far back as you can go.

Chase
October 29th, 2013, 07:51 AM
those buttons are ads. They don't have anything to do with the KYEN stream and the reason I said they're ads is because I see them every now and then on other sites.

SirKit
October 29th, 2013, 03:53 PM
those buttons are ads. They don't have anything to do with the KYEN stream and the reason I said they're ads is because I see them every now and then on other sites.

I have not seen them on other sites. Do you see them on radio sites? It is still confusing, and I don't think the drop down menu to Listen Live to KYEN worked when I got those "ads." And, still, those "ads" said they wanted to keep my credit card number "on hand" even though I would not be charged to listen to the station. That does not sound so legit to me!

I would like to believe I no longer have any malware issues, as my laptop is now working very fast, and not bad for only 256 MB of RAM at the moment (till I put in two 1GB chips I have for my specific computer.) I just got it back from a repair shop. He cleaned it of bugs and installed anti-viral software (a good one, which I'll forego naming so that I can also forego comments from any naysayers out there - and they always are out there.}

I'll go to KYEN again when I want to tune them in. I'll just avoid clicking on anything that looks suspicious to me.

Thanks for your input, DavieGravy and Chase.

Chase
October 29th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I have seen them on other sites unfortunately I don't recall which ones. But this is the first time I've seen them on a radio site.

SirKit
October 29th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Well, as I said in an earlier post, clicking on it takes you to a page that purports to be some sort of radio streaming group, like TuneIn Radio or iHeart Radio. But this group also wants to store your credit card information. I'd be curious and surprised if they ask people to do this on non-radio sites. And they say doing so will allow you to listen to thousands of stations (as if I need their site and to give up my credit card number in order to accomplish this!)

Rob
October 29th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Most likely they (the former owners of KYEN) are using Google Ads to make a little revenue. Google decides what ads run and try to target them towards who visits their site.

I use an ad blocker in my browser, so I don't see those ads at all when enabled.

I did disable my ad blocker and saw the same ads SirKit posted in his picture.

I use the Google Chrome browser and use extensions called "AdBlock" and "Disconnect" that blocks all of those from showing. Disconnect also blocks the tracking and embedded content in web sites from Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Twitter and Linked In.

radiodude
October 29th, 2013, 08:03 PM

Hate to tell ya but those are NOT fake one bit! They are real as real as they can become. I see them to, just like anyone else can see them on any browers. Thanks for the screen shot, becasue I had no idea what you were talking about? Now I do.
Those are real, it appears Ted is allowing ads on his site.

radiodude
October 31st, 2013, 10:08 PM
Well it looks like we now know what the call letters are going to be for 103.9 (Thanks to Radio - locator) but for some reason they think the format is going rebroadcast a hip hop station called "HOT 107.9" .
I wonder if it well be on he air tommorow morning as well? Now we know at least the call letters but if it is still going to air, air 1??

Rob
November 1st, 2013, 01:21 AM
Well it looks like we now know what the call letters are going to be for 103.9 (Thanks to Radio - locator) but for some reason they think the format is going rebroadcast a hip hop station called "HOT 107.9" .
I wonder if it well be on he air tommorow morning as well? Now we know at least the call letters but if it is still going to air, air 1??

I've had the new calls listed in the Ft. Collins/Greeley radio dial (http://www.coloradomedia.net/forums/home.php?pageid=ftradio). It is now KRKA 103.9 FM as of October 7th. The Hip-hop info is incorrect.

DavieGravy
November 1st, 2013, 07:14 PM
It's on the air as of today and fairly obvious that they haven't upgraded the transmitter. Not that I give 2 hoots either way. Puke to the format. What a waste of a good signal. It's almost blasphemous. Not trying to stir up any trouble. Just saying...

Rob
November 1st, 2013, 11:15 PM
Not my kind of format either...

I heard it come on this afternoon... now at 11:13pm, I tuned in and they have dead air. The transmitter has gone off and then back on again.

radiodude
November 2nd, 2013, 04:48 AM
Well I did say that 103.9 is going to be air 1 did I not? So now Air 1 is on the air right now at 4:48 am Saturday Morning.

SirKit
November 2nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Hate to tell ya but those are NOT fake one bit! They are real as real as they can become. I see them to, just like anyone else can see them on any browers. Thanks for the screen shot, becasue I had no idea what you were talking about? Now I do.
Those are real, it appears Ted is allowing ads on his site.

And these real ads want to store my credit card number for verification of what country I live in? That's not going to happen! That kind of thing is so bogus and unnecessary. Some things should just not be allowed. Thanks for your information.

radiodude
November 2nd, 2013, 09:10 PM
And these real ads want to store my credit card number for verification of what country I live in? That's not going to happen! That kind of thing is so bogus and unnecessary. Some things should just not be allowed. Thanks for your information.

What are you talking about anyways? They don't ask for your credit card? I know, I clicked on one of them and it just goes to another web page? So I have no idea what you are talking about, on how they would store your credit card number???
You do realize that things are always store on different web pages thru "COOKIES" right? YOu do know that right? So like it or not, if you have cookies in able in any browser your credit card info is already been given out to those sites that you visited.
FOr the ads on Kyen's site, those ads don' do that.

SirKit
November 4th, 2013, 11:08 AM
What are you talking about anyways? They don't ask for your credit card? I know, I clicked on one of them and it just goes to another web page? So I have no idea what you are talking about, on how they would store your credit card number???
You do realize that things are always store on different web pages thru "COOKIES" right? YOu do know that right? So like it or not, if you have cookies in able in any browser your credit card info is already been given out to those sites that you visited.
FOr the ads on Kyen's site, those ads don' do that.

Don't get all over me with attitude, radiodude! Initially, I said that I had gotten these clickable advisers to download the live stream where the vertical banner ads have been. You didn't know what I was talking about THEN. So when I got those download "ads" again, I took a screen shot of them to show you what I was talking about; they were not figments of my imagination. I know what cookies are; don't talk down to me. I'm saying that when I initially clicked on one of those ads to download the stream, it took me to a web page that asked me to enter my credit card information into text fields, and that it would be stored but not billed. I was not agreeable to doing this, and left. When I returned at a later day, I did not see those banner ads for the download. When I used the drop-down menu for the Listen Live stream, it worked normally, with no middle-man asking for my credit card information. But you're saying those enticements to click for the download are legitimate ads. If they are, fine. But I contend that just because they're "legitimate," people who want to stream the station shouldn't be given one option that requests credit card numbers. Just because you haven't seen the page that requests credit card information doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I already posted one screen shot to show what I received (the download ads). Do I have to post another screen shot that shows where they ask for credit card information in order for you to believe that too? Take my word for it, it happened. I realize this may have been a bug, an anomaly or a chance bug of some sort that may have been a one-time event, and that (happily) other visitors are not getting when they want the stream. I sincerely hope what happened to me that one time does not happen again. But if it does, maybe I'll take the screen shot for you, doubtingdude.

radiodude
November 4th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Don't get all over me with attitude, radiodude! Initially, I said that I had gotten these clickable advisers to download the live stream where the vertical banner ads have been. You didn't know what I was talking about THEN. So when I got those download "ads" again, I took a screen shot of them to show you what I was talking about; they were not figments of my imagination. I know what cookies are; don't talk down to me. I'm saying that when I initially clicked on one of those ads to download the stream, it took me to a web page that asked me to enter my credit card information into text fields, and that it would be stored but not billed. I was not agreeable to doing this, and left. When I returned at a later day, I did not see those banner ads for the download. When I used the drop-down menu for the Listen Live stream, it worked normally, with no middle-man asking for my credit card information. But you're saying those enticements to click for the download are legitimate ads. If they are, fine. But I contend that just because they're "legitimate," people who want to stream the station shouldn't be given one option that requests credit card numbers. Just because you haven't seen the page that requests credit card information doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I already posted one screen shot to show what I received (the download ads). Do I have to post another screen shot that shows where they ask for credit card information in order for you to believe that too? Take my word for it, it happened. I realize this may have been a bug, an anomaly or a chance bug of some sort that may have been a one-time event, and that (happily) other visitors are not getting when they want the stream. I sincerely hope what happened to me that one time does not happen again. But if it does, maybe I'll take the screen shot for you, doubtingdude.

Well excuse me, I didn't mean to "Talk down to you " or to give you some attitude, but I am sorry, I am not seeing what your getting at all. I went to the website and there are two banners (today) one for Unlimited play from GOOGLE and the other is to Listen now, Full version and sign up for Free Trial, ( that is what I am seeing right now at 7:35 pm Monday night.
By clicking on the banner on the right side of the web page it takes me to another page (and it doesn't' ask for a credit card). So again my apologies but, I don't see what your seeing at all.

SirKit
November 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I have not tried that download ad button again. I have seen it once or twice, but stayed away from clicking on it, so I don't know if it would again take me to a page requesting my credit card information. It did happen once, and that was enough. However, I've only gotten those same download buttons one additional time. I'm getting the download links now that I should be getting, the same as everyone else. Hopefully it will continue to take me to the stream without any sidetracks. I'm glad you are not seeing what I saw, because that was indeed something sketchy. Thanks for your apologies; sometimes things may "sound" different written rather than spoken. We're good! And thanks again for your input.

Chase
November 5th, 2013, 05:44 PM
SirKit,

At the bottom of the page there is a link that says Listen Online Click that and you don't have to download any thing :)

radiodude
November 5th, 2013, 10:48 PM
I have not tried that download ad button again. I have seen it once or twice, but stayed away from clicking on it, so I don't know if it would again take me to a page requesting my credit card information. It did happen once, and that was enough. However, I've only gotten those same download buttons one additional time. I'm getting the download links now that I should be getting, the same as everyone else. Hopefully it will continue to take me to the stream without any sidetracks. I'm glad you are not seeing what I saw, because that was indeed something sketchy. Thanks for your apologies; sometimes things may "sound" different written rather than spoken. We're good! And thanks again for your input.

Well you know something? All of this doesn't matter anymore, since Ted decided to kill the streaming of KYEN, so we can't hear the music and I even wrote to him and nothing happened so far.
So I am guessing KYEN is gone for good.

SirKit
November 6th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Well you know something? All of this doesn't matter anymore, since Ted decided to kill the streaming of KYEN, so we can't hear the music and I even wrote to him and nothing happened so far.
So I am guessing KYEN is gone for good.

I am sorry to hear this. It was a great ride while it lasted. I am thankful for the time that KYEN was in existence and on the airwaves at 103.9, and for rocking the Rockies with such a great mix of songs and music not heard on the air elsewhere.

radiodude
November 6th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I am sorry to hear this. It was a great ride while it lasted. I am thankful for the time that KYEN was in existence and on the airwaves at 103.9, and for rocking the Rockies with such a great mix of songs and music not heard on the air elsewhere.

Yeah you and everyone else that liked that station. I guess Ted figured it wasn't worth his time anymore to keep the streaming going? I doubt if that was part of the deal to stop streaming on line for Kyen?
Strange thing is, the list keeps on going but the audio is gone.

radiodude
November 7th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Never mind my mistake, KYEN is still streaming alive but he just made it simpler, one stream.

RadioSucks
November 8th, 2013, 09:11 PM
KYEN Gone soon?

Well, that's a wrap for radio. I'm out.

I don't think 'the corporation' who owns all the music stations in Denver actually listens to any of the stations.

Every music station in Denver is the same. Churning out the same ten songs in cyclic succession.
Then comes the reward, endless commercials and constant babblings. It's completely mind numbing in one way, and infuriating in another.

10 minutes is about how long I can handle 'any' music radio station in Denver.

KYEN gone? Then Goodbye Radio. Stick it. You want me to listen? You would have to pay me. But even if you paid me $1000 a day, I would not last long listening! It would hurt less to be homeless !

Hello Satellite Radio!

RadioSucks
November 8th, 2013, 09:29 PM
KYEN Owner.

Why didn't you communicate with your listeners? You could have asked us each for $2 a month. We would have paid.

What an out of-box-idea. Too late now.

You could salvage the situation by leaving the online station running, or let the current programmers continue the online station.

I would be willing to help in any way possible.

Rob
November 8th, 2013, 10:12 PM
It's a nice idea, but running/starting a listener-supported station requires A LOT of resources, work and people to help raise money... it's a whole new business plan that takes more than you would think to implement.

$2 a listener would be way too low to keep the station going.

I run an internet station that is partly listener supported and only about .025% of the listeners ever donate... and the amounts are low compared to what an on-air broadcast station would need to pay its bills.

At least it seems for now you can listen to the old KYEN format online...

Rob
November 8th, 2013, 10:16 PM
By the way, I was told that KARS 102.9 FM tried to do something similar to KYEN. Have any of you gave it a chance? Or is it just a standard classic rocker?

I have trouble getting it here so I have no idea if they are that similar in format or not...

radiodude
November 8th, 2013, 11:25 PM
KYEN Owner.

Why didn't you communicate with your listeners? You could have asked us each for $2 a month. We would have paid.

What an out of-box-idea. Too late now.

You could salvage the situation by leaving the online station running, or let the current programmers continue the online station.

I would be willing to help in any way possible.

I guess you didn't see my post? I wrote that KYEN is STILL STREAMING!! Pay attention before posting something like this? IT's not gone at all! It's still alive and kicking!

RadioSucks
November 9th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I guess you didn't see my post? I wrote that KYEN is STILL STREAMING!! Pay attention before posting something like this? IT's not gone at all! It's still alive and kicking!

Unfortunately, you misinterpreted my post.

I know the on-line KYEN is on.
But it will be gone soon as well, correct?

RadioSucks
November 9th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Rob,

But there are 1000's of online radio stations, and only a handful in my car.

Out of those handful, there was only ONE good station, ONE station that was far different from the rest.

KYEN could have aired a commercial every hour asking for a $5 donation to keep the station going.
Considering the alternative stations, I would have enthusiastically paid, as I am sure many others would have.

KYEN also could have posted their monthly needs online. Displaying a live 'running tally' graphic.
This would have been especially useful where the online radio resides.

If people can 'see' their contributions live, it feels even more satisfying.

Would volunteers be able to help in station functions?
There are many willing to help.

radiodude
November 10th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Unfortunately, you misinterpreted my post.

I know the on-line KYEN is on.
But it will be gone soon as well, correct?

Nope, it seems to be sticking around, I don't think he has any plans to kill it.

radiodude
November 10th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Rob,

Out of those handful, there was only ONE good station, ONE station that was far different from the rest.

KYEN could have aired a commercial every hour asking for a $5 donation to keep the station going.
Considering the alternative stations, I would have enthusiastically paid, as I am sure many others would have.

KYEN also could have posted their monthly needs online. Displaying a live 'running tally' graphic.

I don't beleive that Ted would ever do anything like that. YOu know why? He is bloody RICH! Why would he want to ask for donations when he can afford it all?
He got all the music rights to stream the songs. Plus he got the cash from the sale of 103.9 anyways. So I would say that he is sitting pretty well and wouldn't ever ask for donations.

Rob
November 14th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Rob,

I would like to see an over the air commercial station try to do that and see if it can be supported that way. Maybe a station owner will see these posts and want to try. I just don't see the numbers adding up that would help.

I plug on my iPhone into my car stereo (or use bluetooth) so that I can listen to anything on the net while driving... I really think internet radio in cars is the future (at least here in the US) and over the air radio will be a dinosaur.

While I was in the UK a couple of months ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see they have over the air digital radio (that complements the analog AM and FM stations) that carries a lot of different stations - kind of like our satellite radio, but free. The signals cover they whole country, so I never lost a national digital station (called DAB there) at all, even in the middle of nowhere. I think they run in the 200 Mhz band.

I really think the US needs to evolve over the air radio to make it more competitive since internet radio will take over sooner than they think. They need to create a whole new service and delivery system that is digital. HD Radio doesn't seem to be the answer since it seems to cost a lot for stations to put in and is owned by only one company. The sound quality of HD radio is not very good either if a station adds an HD-2 or HD-3.

DavieGravy
November 17th, 2013, 08:46 AM
You could always go to kcdx.com if you like the format that much and kyen goes away.

traceyw
January 13th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Yes the same format is on a Station Ted owns in the Tucson area that makes a rim shot signal into Phoenix KCDX, and he has had it on the air for over ten years. I believe he will leave it on the air as he lives down in Arizona and owns Desert West air ranchers. However like me in Nebraska you can only pick it up on the internet. He uses it as his personal over the air MP3 player when he is out and about in AZ. I agree to many K-LOVe stations we have 3 I can pick over the air here.

DavieGravy
January 17th, 2014, 06:44 PM
KBPI HD2 is the only music station worth listening to in the Denver area any more. I'm glad that clear channel didn't kill the format when the switched KRFX HD2 to simulcast KOA.

radiodude
January 18th, 2014, 06:26 PM
You could always go to kcdx.com if you like the format that much and kyen goes away.

Correction KYEN is still here, but oddly Ted doesn't care to fix the streaming for KYEN.com? It is playing music still, but no one can listen to that music anymore?
I tired to shoot him an Email but no luck. It's like he is ignoring everything about KYEN.com?

DavieGravy
January 19th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Correction KYEN is still here, but oddly Ted doesn't care to fix the streaming for KYEN.com? It is playing music still, but no one can listen to that music anymore?
I tired to shoot him an Email but no luck. It's like he is ignoring everything about KYEN.com?
Radiodude, this is 2014. You can get better playlists online. If you're crafty, you can listen to pandora commercial free by using a google chrome extension or download a hacked version of the app for android. I don't understand why people would even listen to this anymore. Pick your own style of music for fuck's sake. Or go to kcdx.com and listen to the same format that was on kyen.

DavieGravy
January 19th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Stop blaming Ted. Ted's got better things to do. :p :p :p

radiodude
April 12th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Will it seems like Ted gaved up on KYEN for good, he killed it and now the site just goes to his other station: 103.1 KCDX (as we know is out of Arizona).
So RIP to KYEN, it was a good station.

DavieGravy
April 12th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Strange. The site is still there with it's own playlist, but instantly redirects to kcdx.com. I'm still confused about what the difference is. Other than the call letters and order of songs.