PDA

View Full Version : Longtime KGNU station manager leaving, national search under way

Colorado Media Newsroom
July 4th, 2013, 04:29 PM
From The Boulder Daily Camera:

Longtime KGNU station manager leaving, national search under way
But Sam Fuqua to stay involved, with volunteering, select projects

KGNU station manager Sam Fuqua is leaving the community radio station after 22 years to explore other opportunities.

But Fuqua, whose last day was Friday, said he plans to stay involved with the station, working on projects and volunteering. One of those projects will be a radio series on water issues in Colorado.

"I love the place too much to leave completely," he said. "They can't get rid of me."

The Boulder-based community radio station, located at 4700 Walnut St., recently reopened its national search for Fuqua's replacement. The station manager application deadline is today, with the evaluation process expected to take two months. In the meantime, Community Development Director Shawna Sprowls will serve as interim manager.

The first round yielded strong candidates, KGNU board chairman Barry Gilbert said, but the board is trying a second round to see if more candidates meeting the desired qualities come forward.

He said there are a fairly small number of community radio stations -- not just public radio -- that are similar in size and market as Boulder, limiting the applicant pool. Along with experience, he said, the most important qualifications are strong leadership skills and embracing the station's mission of engaging and serving the community.

Fuqua, he said, had both qualities.

"Sam is a true people person," he said. "He will take whatever time he can to listen to people and give them room to explore their passions. More importantly, community service is in his blood. He sees everything that KGNU does through the lens of community engagement and community service."

Fuqua moved to Boulder to work as KGNU's news director in 1991. He was promoted to station manager in 2007.

"Both KGNU and Boulder turned out to be a great place for me," he said. "I feel lucky to have worked most of my adult life at a place that was so interesting and fun."

He said a big challenge during his tenure was reducing the station's debt after buying the 1390 AM frequency in 2004. He said the debt has been reduced from $3 million to about $1.2 million, improving the station's financial position.

Then, he said, there's the ongoing challenge of competing for listeners.

"We're not just competing against other quality public radio stations," he said. "There are thousands of choices on the Internet."

more (http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_23593607/longtime-kgnu-station-manager-leaving-national-search-under)