PDA

View Full Version : Gary Miller leaving KCNC TV (CBS 4) to become the radio voice of the CSU Rams

Rob
May 29th, 2013, 01:41 PM
From http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052913aaa.html

Colorado State announces addition of Gary Miller to radio team
Veteran sportscaster is new Voice of the Rams, with Brian Roth as color commentator

May 29, 2013

FORT COLLINS, Colo.- Veteran sportscaster Gary Miller will be the new radio play-by-play voice of the Colorado State Rams beginning this fall, Director of Athletics Jack Graham announced Wednesday. Miller, a longtime television sportscaster with Denver's CBS4, will call CSU's football and men's basketball games and host the Rams' coaches' shows with Jim McElwain and Larry Eustachy on the Colorado State Radio Network, originating from 105.5 ESPN.

Miller will be joined in the booth by Brian Roth, continuing Roth's 13-year association with CSU Athletics on the radio airwaves.

"Attracting a play-by-play announcer with the experience, talent and respect of Gary Miller is a major boost for our program and for our fans," Graham said. "I am thrilled that Gary will be the voice of the Rams, and am excited to have him paired with Brian Roth, whose passion for the Rams and his long history with the program is a major asset."

Miller has been a popular sportscaster with CBS4 since 1991, and has play-by-play experience at every level of sports. He handled play-by-play duties for the Denver Broncos' preseason game telecasts on CBS4 from 2004-10--winning an Emmy Award in the process--and for 14 years was the TV voice of the Colorado state high school championship telecasts for football and boys and girls basketball.

"After 22 wonderful years at CBS4, where I've covered Super Bowl and Stanley Cup champions as well as the World Series and NBA playoffs, I couldn't be happier now to be the radio voice of the Rams," Miller said. "I've watched with great interest the remarkable job Athletic Director Jack Graham is doing to revitalize the entire athletics program at Colorado State. The passion and love he feels for the university comes through so clearly. He has great vision and is obviously the perfect man to lead the Rams to the next level in college athletics."

In addition to his play-by-play experience with the Denver Broncos, Miller has handled play-by-play duties for various college and prep sports broadcasts on radio and TV throughout his career. In the early 1990s he called University of Colorado men's and women's basketball games on CBS4, and prior to that handled play-by-play for Bakersfield (Calif.) College football, Cal State Bakersfield basketball and for 10 years in San Luis Obispo, Calif., did radio play-by-play for local high school football and basketball.

"I'm so impressed by the coaches Jack Graham has chosen to lead the school's major sports," Miller added. "Coach Mac and Larry Eustachy are both at the top of their professions. The Rams are in great hands. I've always loved doing play by play. It was great fun doing Broncos preseason football and other play-by-play work on TV, but the real challenge comes on radio when the announcer gets to tell the entire story. When I had the chance to make this move, I didn't hesitate--I jumped in. I can't wait to get it all started with the Rocky Mountain Showdown on Sept. 1. What a great way to start the next chapter in my professional life."

Miller, a Brooklyn, N.Y., native and Long Island University graduate, began his television career as at KNDU-TV in the Tri-Cities area of Washington state before moving to a sports anchor position at KSBY-TV in San Luis Obispo, Calif. He then served as sports director and anchor at KGET-TV in Bakersfield, Calif., for six years before moving to CBS4.

In addition to the Emmy for his Broncos play-by-play work, Miller has been recognized with a number of awards, including "Best Sportscast" and "Best Play-by-Play" from the California Press. He's also won a Golden Mic for "Best Sportscast."

Roth has been a key player on the Rams' football broadcasts since 2001, including the last three in the play-by-play seat. He handled color commentary from 2007-09, and for six seasons before that was the sideline reporter. Roth also handled play-by-play for CSU women's basketball from 2000-01 through 2009-10 before taking over the men's basketball play-by-play role.

Roth has called some of the signature games in recent Rams history, and has been part of the broadcast team for many memorable moments since 2000. He was behind the microphone for CSU's NCAA men's basketball tournament win over Missouri on March 21, 2013, its first win in the Big Dance since 1989. In all, Roth has been part of the Rams' broadcasts for five bowl games and six NCAA tournament games with both men's and women's teams.

Colorado State begins its new partnership with 105.5 ESPN on July 1, 2013, and will kick off game coverage on Sept. 1 when the Rams open the 2013 football season against in-state rival Colorado at 4 p.m. (MT) at Sports Authority Field at Mile High in Denver.

Miller also will host the Coors Light Jim McElwain Show on Thursday nights throughout football season on 105.5 ESPN, as well as the Coors Light Basketball Coaches' Show on Monday nights during basketball season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KW2NzVKwico

Colorado Media Newsroom
May 30th, 2013, 06:48 AM

From All Access:

CBS O&O KCNC-TV (CBS4)/DENVER sports anchor GARY MILLER has been named the new radio play-by-play voice of COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY football and men's basketball and host of the teams' coaches' shows on FRONT RANGE SPORTS NETWORK Sports KJAC (105.5 ESPN)/TIMNATH-FORT COLLINS-GREELEY, CO and Sports KDSP (102.3 ESPN)/DENVER. MILLER will join analyst BRIAN ROTH on the broadcasts.

Director of Athletics JACK GRAHAM said, "Attracting a play-by-play announcer with the experience, talent and respect of GARY MILLER is a major boost for our program and for our fans. I am thrilled that GARY will be the voice of the RAMS, and am excited to have him paired with BRIAN ROTH, whose passion for the RAMS and his long history with the program is a major asset."

"After 22 wonderful years at CBS4, where I've covered SUPER BOWL and STANLEY CUP champions as well as the WORLD SERIES and NBA playoffs, I couldn't be happier now to be the radio voice of the RAMS," said MILLER. "I've watched with great interest the remarkable job Athletic Director JACK GRAHAM is doing to revitalize the entire athletics program at COLORADO STATE. The passion and love he feels for the university comes through so clearly. He has great vision and is obviously the perfect man to lead the RAMS to the next level in college athletics."

more (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/118894/cbs4-denver-s-gary-miller-named-radio-voice-of-col?ref=rss)http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/allaccess/radio-news/~4/hg4kWo8NczI